Sunday, December 10, 2006

Gibbous Was Waning Tonight

There’s a popping sound from my Christmas tree. I don’t know exactly what it is, but it just keeps randomly popping. I don’t know why. The hour is late, and I am not asleep yet. I’ve been busy thinking of things. Thinking of the moon. This evening my wife and I were returning from a play when she spotted the most beautiful and lonely moon rising just over the horizon, a peek-a-boo moon –as she called it. It looked to me like a moon that someone played a trick on. It got all dressed up and someone covered a third of it up. Regardless, that orange gibbous moon sure was beautiful. It made me start looking into the romantic aspect of the moon, and I realized after a while that many moon songs can sort of be knitted together kind of like this.

Gibbous was Waning Tonight

It was on a moonlight night. The stars were shining bright. Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart. Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance. With the stars up above in your eyes. Dancin' in the moonlight. Everybody feelin' warm and right. It's such a fine and natural sight. Everybody's dancin' in the moonlight.

Fill my heart with song, and let me sing for ever more. Your silvery beams will bring love dreams. We'll be cuddling soon. Don't close your eyes or I might drift away

Under the night my image bends it's shape. Shining on the one who waits for me. One more Moondance with you in the moonlight. On a magic night.

Because I’m still in love with you. On this harvest moon. So shine on, shine on harvest moon. For me and my gal. There's a moon in the sky. It's called the moon.

Of all the moon songs out there, this one kind of sums up my feelings this evening. Goodnight Moon.

Fly Me to the Moon

Bart Howard

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On a-Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby, kiss me

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, in other words
I love ... you

All About the Moon

No comments: