Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Man Who Wears the Star

http://www.weberspump.com/acatalog/d115texaco.jpg

The Man Who Wears the Star

When I was a kid back in the 1960’s, I’d beg my father to let me go to the gas station with him whenever he went to fill up our fleet of Chevys. While he rarely did, I always wanted him to go to the Texaco station at the corner of Cove and Hershberger Roads in Roanoke, Virginia. Texaco was a sexy gas station for me because I knew that inside that station’s office were piles of fire helmets. Some were silver “Sky Chief” helmets and others were red “Fire Chief” helmets. I’d practically jump out of the car just to rush in and see them, but most of the time my father would instruct me to stay in the car.

Back in those days, gas stations provided full service, and that means “the works.” As soon as we’d pull up to the pump and trip the bell, an attendant, smartly dressed in his pressed army-green Texaco uniform, would march out to start the fill up. While the gas was pumping, he’d proceed to the hood and check vital fluids there, adding a little of this or that. Then he’d come to the driver’s window for payment. My father would give him a $5, and he would use this really clever change dispenser attached to his belt to click out the exact change required to complete the transaction.

That kind of service and innocence died a long time ago in America. It was swallowed by speed and greed…almost.

About five years ago, I don’t really know exactly when, we received one of those annoying business flyers in our newspaper box. You know the kind. They all go something like this: “Bob’s Tree Removal…Give us a try!” This particular flyer was for a non-steam carpet cleaning service and it seemed different than most. It had an honest, sincere lyrical poetry to it, as if the business owner was speaking directly to me, even though I knew his message was in every newspaper box in the subdivision. Being that it was summer and that we had a horribly dirty carpet downstairs in our family room, we decided to give the guy a call.

With an appointment made, we waited patiently for A&R Cleaning Service to arrive.

At exactly the appointment time, Richard Barnes, owner of A&R, pulled up to our home in his white van. Out he popped from the vehicle wearing a Texaco-like uniform and a clipboard tucked under his arm. Over the next half hour, Mr. Barnes gave me a carpet education. He showed me the unseemly seamy, fibrous world of carpet. By the time he was done educating me, I was begging him to clean our carpet. So I set up a cleaning appointment for the next day.

True to his word, Richard Barnes arrived exactly on time and began working on our soiled carpet. When he finished, I was amazed at how good it looked. Most amazingly was Mr.Barnes’ bill for services. He charged us almost nothing. I questioned him about that thoroughly and his response was that he was building his business, and he realizes that he needs to establish relationships with his customers to keep them coming back for years to come. He did ask one favor of me, and that was for me to spread the word of his service to my friends and relatives.

The last time I saw Richard Barnes was about five years ago, but that’s not the last time I heard from him. That old basement carpet lasted another two years before we finally decided to replace it with a Berber carpet. We haven’t yet had that carpet cleaned. Mr. Barnes hasn’t ever forgotten us either. Each month over the last few years, he sends us his special newsletter. It’s the most unique piece of literature I’ve ever seen.

The newsletter is a four to six page document which he mails out each month. It’s loaded with small bits of trivia, mostly unrelated to carpet. After some simple Google searching, I discovered other carpet cleaners across the world with his exact same newsletter which led me to a company called Piranha Marketing. Apparently Mr. Barnes uses this service to assist him in marketing his business.

Richard’s newsletter is genius. I’m amazed at its choice of information and even more amazed by the writing style, a cross between passion and grammatical flaw. Here are a few excerpts from his latest newsletter.

Ballpoint Pens!

The manufacture of economical, reliable ballpoint pens resulted from a combination of experimentation, modern chemistry, and the precision manufacturing capabilities of 20th century technology…

Outstanding Client of the Month

Meet

Leroy Lark

Every month I choose a very special Client of the Month. It’s my way of acknowledging good friends and saying “thanks” to those who support me and my business with referrals, word of mouth and repeat business…YOU might be my next client of the Month!

Some headlines…

Bananas Fight Heartburn and More

Eating Apples Protects Your Memory, Heart& More

Serendipity and the Slinky



The newsletters are very entertaining; however, Richard stepped it up a notch this past December with a special room cleaning promotion letter.


Dear Friend,

This is Richard Barnes owner of A &R Cleaning Services. You’ve won one room up to 200 SF of carpet cleaning absolutely free. No strings attached. No teeny, tiny little print. One room free. A coupon is enclosed for you to redeem.

I Miss You!

You’ve gotten your carpets cleaned by my company before but you haven’t in a while. I miss you.

Don’t you remember how your carpet looked when we cleaned it last time?

It looked practically brand-new! Clean. Fresh-smelling. Crisp. It was fantastic…

When I didn’t respond to his first letter, Richard sent me a “2nd Notice” in January.

Dear Friend,

Hi, its* me, Richard Barnes again. About 2 weeks ago I dropped off a letter to you telling you that you had won.

You’ve Won One Room of Free Carpet Cleaning

I can’t believe I haven’t heard from you! In fact. I’m shocked.

But you’ve probably been super busy. Being pulled in 63 different directions at once. You barely have time to eat, let alone think about your ‘carpet’. I know I feel that way too BUT….

Your Prize Expires on February 15th

I can’t reserve your free room of carpet cleaning forever. You need to call me today at xxx-xxxx.

Because on Feb. 15th I don’t want to do this but you’re forcing me to.

But its not too late yet. If you call me today, I still have reserved for you:

One Room of Free Carpet Cleaning

And

A Free 15 min. Carpet Audit…

When I didn’t respond to his second notice, Mr. Barnes sent me yet another notice.

Walked On. Stomped On

Run Over.

Your Carpet Needs Your Help!

Dear Friend,

This is Richard Barnes Disappointed.

I’ve dropped off 2 letter for you telling you about the prize you’ve won~

One Room of Free Carpet Cleaning

And

A Free 15 Min. Carpet Audit

I’m truly saddened I haven’t heard from you.

Your Carpet Needs Your Help!

If you’ll take just 15 minutes of your time, your carpet will be forever grateful! And it won’t cost you a cent!

You have until Feb. 15, 2007 to claim your one room of free carpet cleaning and get a Free 15 Min. Carpet Audit…

*All grammatical and spelling errors were part of the original documents.

Folks, you just can’t buy this kind of service and entertainment any more these days. Richard Barnes is a gem. He’s a guy who wears a star in my book. I sure hope he keeps sending me his newsletters and offers.


A& R Cleaning Service

No comments: