Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Tidy Mess


A Tidy Mess

Did you know that in 1931, SCOTT® introduced to the consumer market the first paper towel for household and kitchen use, creating a whole new grocery category? I know I was surprised, too. I’m not sure why, though, because I’ve always been a ScotTissue guy.

In fact, for the last several mornings, I’ve been contemplating Scott Toilet Tissue, and it occurred to me that this company has really worked hard to stay on top of the toilet tissue heap. I’ve done a bit of research and learned quite a lot about the product and the company. Scott put out its first brand of toilet tissue in 1902 when it purchased the rights to the Waldorf toilet tissue line. From there, they grew the brand.

I was wondering the other day several things. Why do I have such brand loyalty to Scott Tissue? What makes their product attractive to the customer? How have they enhanced and marketed their product over the years? How can they continue to grow their profits in a relatively saturated market?

These were all such rich topics. So between my research and pondering, I believe I have some answers that satisfy me. Let’s look at each question specifically.

Why do I have such brand loyalty to ScotTissue?

First of all, you should know that Scott officially renamed its main product “Scott 1000 Tissue” in 1995. The old name ScotTissue was deemed to be dated. I love ScotTissue, and I have since I was old enough to enjoy grocery shopping trips with my mother. Back then before I headed off to public schools, my mother would pack me up in the car and head over to either A&P, Winn Dixie, Kroger, or Mick-Or-Mack. I was a big fan of Mick or Mack. It was a very cool store with neat cash registers and lots of meat being cut by the butcher. Plus, they always gave us S&H Green Stamps after check-out. I didn’t enjoy A&P in general; it had a funny smell. However, the A&P coffee was quite delicious smelling. Winn Dixie was a weird place, but I enjoyed going there for the “Double Cola” and for the Saturday Horse Racing game cards. We’d collect the game cards and watch the horse races on television Saturday nights at 7:30 on our hometown station. Another story for another day…

But back to toilet paper. My mother would always buy Scott toilet tissue at Mick-Or-Mack Every week, she’d toss in about five or six individually wrapped rolls into the cart. To me, they were a lot like footballs. You could toss them around and not hurt them at all. I always looked forward to picking out the toilet paper. I suppose that’s why I’m a loyal customer to this day.

What makes their product attractive to the customer?

In short, I think ScotTissue was an attractive product because the company took care to package a fine product carefully, yet unpretentiously. The outer wrap was simple yet supple, while the actual product was fit for the common man without any unnecessary frills. When you bought ScotTissue, you always knew what you were getting. There was no Mr. Whipple squeezing it, and frankly it didn’t need any bald-headed boob feeling it. By skimping on the frills, Scott was able to keep its product affordable for everyone, and with five kids to roll, my mother really appreciated that.

How have they enhanced and marketed their product over the year?

Actually, they did very little over the years to make their product sexier for the times. In 1958 their new advertising slogan was "America's Best Seller Soft & Strong." In 1976, ScotTissue was marketed as “Safe for Septic.” That line sort of ran its course and by the 1980’s Scott needed something new. So in 1981, they were the first to introduce the 4-pack. Always quietly innovative, Scott brought us brought the 6-pack followed by the 12-pack in the 1990’s. Finally, in 2005, Scott introduced fresh new packaging.

How can they continue to grow their profits in a relatively saturated market?

Scott is battling a green revolution these days. Cheryl Crow is advocating the use of only one square of toilet paper per movement. While I’m not sure how any sensible human can effectively manage bodily untidiness with just one square, there is little doubt that Crow has touched upon something. The untidy Crow is on the forefront of a movement of sorts that will lead to people using less tissue in the future. So the Scott marketers had to find a way to protect their earnings. This is especially important since Kimberly Clark bought the company back in 1995. Kimberly Clark leverages ScotTissue against the Proctor & Gamble powerhouse, Charmin. Mr. Whipple, though mostly silent, now works as a pawn in a colossal a marketing war.

Notice the ragged edges on the tear zone and the thin look to the paper.

About a year ago I noticed two small changes in the basic product. First, the paper became slightly lighter in weight. This was coupled with some alteration of the perforations that used to allow for easy tearing of the product into single use Cheryl Crow sheets. No longer was it a simple matter to tear a square. The net effect was that when selecting the product, you really couldn’t tear it effectively on the first pull, so you end up pulling more product. More product pulled directly equates to more product used and more product needed.

The second thing that Scott has done very recently is most ingenious. I’m sure you are quite familiar with the traditional cardboard center of a toilet paper roll. This piece, crafted from rough cardboard stock, has been at the center of toilet paper rolls for close to a century. It has certain weaknesses and flaws that make if lose its shape making pulling more difficult. Scott, however, has developed a new center roll for their tissue. This new center is created from a waxy smooth card stock material. It’s lighter and sturdier allowing the toilet paper roll to spin freely when pulled. That easy motion coupled with the tugging needed to rip the paper from the unit effectively forces the customer to use more paper than they intended. In the end, although they still have essentially the same product, people now go through much more product in a shorter amount of time. Again, more product pulled directly equates to more product used and more product needed.

Those are my revelations. Secretly, Scott has been messing with and modifying the traditional toilet paper roll. As they’ve been innovators throughout their history, Scott continues to clean up in an untidy business.

2 comments:

JackSML said...

Cheryl Crow thinks she invented the 1Sq wipe. It’s been around for years. It was invented during the depression when we could only use one Sq at a time. TP was a luxury from Sears Catalog and the Evening Star. Next time I see you, bring your camera and I will give you a lesson for all to see. Hint: It’s all in the fold and tear.

Newt said...

I had a fascinating discussion with my parents a couple of weeks ago. Somehow the topic of toilet paper came up. Perhaps I was beginning to formulate my ideas for this piece. Anyway, as the discussion evolved, my parents looked at each other and gave one another knowing assured smiles. Then my mother took me back to her family farm in rugged Upstate New York during The Depression. She said that toilet paper must have only been used by rich people, because at her house, they had to wipe using leaves in the privvy . Every now and again, the family would receive a copy of the Sears Catalog. Each page from the thick catalog was coveted and provided carefully rationed wiping material. My father agreed with this story. He grew up on a family chicken farm in North Haven, New York (next to Sag Harbor on Long Island). While today, their property is occupied by multi-million dollar homes, back in The Depression it was home to catalog-wiping privvy users.

Back when I was a kid and the Sear's Christmas catalog would arrive in October, I just thought my parents were excited about the toys inside like I was. Now I know, they were secretly overjoyed at getting a fresh stock of designer paper.