Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tomato and Pepper Plants 2008


Tomato and Pepper Plants 2008

I have a limited stock of the following varieties of Tomatoes and Peppers. The suggested donation is $1.25 each or tithe from your plant to me. Plants were tendered from seed and suckled on water in an organic mix. No additives other than treated county water, rainwater, dust particles, and Roanoke’s own natural air pollution have ever been added to these plants or their immediate environment.

Here are my babies with a brief description of each variety. Determinate means that the plant sets all of its fruit at once. Indeterminate means that the plant keeps producing fruit and it ripens on the vine as long as the plant is alive. The fruit comes in throughout the season. I’m partial to indeterminate types. (#) = how many of this plant I have in stock. Of course, I’ll be taking my own cut from the total number, so for some varieties, there won’t be nearly that many available.

Not necessarily a new variety…just a new one in my garden


Slicing Tomato

You can put it on a sandwich with a bit of salt and mayo. I like to open the bread and lay a tomato slice on it then toss the whole package into the toaster oven. You can have a lot of classic food fun with slicing tomatoes.

Better Boy Standard 1 lb red fruit. Guinness record-holder for yields: 342 lbs. of fruit from a single plant! Year in and year out, I experiment with new, sexy varieties, but Better Boy always seems to come through for me.

Indeterminate (2)

Brandywine Sudduth Strain Large pink fruit up to 2lb.Brandywine tomatoes are cult favorites among old-time gardeners. My neighbor, Iva, swears by them and believes they are simply the sweetest, best tomato you’ll ever taste. I’ve resisted Brandywines for many years, but Iva is persistent. Two years ago she gave me some Pink Brandywines. Last year I bought some Red Brandywines, and, despite the drought that hit my garden, they managed to produce a few tomatoes. So this year I went hunting for more Brandywine varieties. I learned that there are about 1,000,000 different types of Brandywines. This “Pink Brandywine strain, obtained by Ben Quisenberry from Dorris Sudduth Hill, whose family had grown it for more than 80 years” is considered the absolute best by many of those old-timers. We shall see.

Indeterminate (4)

Goliath A mystery tomato for me this year. I’ve long heard the name, but never tried the tomato. So I went for it, but I really
don’t know what I’ll get. Will I get a giant tomato in the 1-2lb range with some getting as large as 3lb on a huge plant as one catalog says or will I get 10 -15 oz fruit on a bushy plant that’s good for containers as Cornell University says? I simply don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know.

Indeterminate-I think (10)

Jet Star: 7 to 8 oz red fruit. Low acid. Compact plant.
“ ‘Uncle’" Dick raised hogs, greens, and Jet Star tomatoes. Sold them at the public Market. We weeded and later picked these tomatoes; they were and still are the one tomato I can count on come harvest time. I can them and we eat them off the vine. I try several varieties every year for fun, but depend on Jet Star for canning. I put in 100 plants and feed give away a lot of tomatoes.” Marc from Monroe County, NY

Indeterminate (5)


Momotarō : 6 to 7 oz perfectly round pink fruit. This import from Japan is regarded as the most popular tomato there. It’s supposed to be sweet and tasty.

In America, this tomato is sometimes called “Tough Guy,” but in Japan, Momotarō is a popular hero in folklore. According to Wikipedia, in the oldest known version of the legend, an “old, childless woman discover[s] the giant, floating peach and take[s] it home with her, as she finds it to be of good color and tasty-looking. After eating a piece of the peach, the old woman is suddenly rejuvenated and regains the beauty of her youth. When her old husband comes home from the hills, he is astounded to find a dazzling young lady in his house. At first he does not even recognize his own wife in her rejuvenated form, but she explains to him how she has picked up an unusual peach floating in the river and brought it home to eat it and was magically transformed. She then gives her husband a piece of the peach to eat, and he also regains his youthful vigor. That night, the newly invigorated couple make love, and the woman becomes pregnant as a result. She eventually gives birth to their first child, a son, whom they name Tarō, as that is a common Japanese name for a first son.

Years later, Momotarō left his parents for an island called Onigashima to destroy the marauding oni (demons or ogres) that dwelt there. En route, Momotarō met and befriended a talking dog, monkey, and pheasant, who agreed to help him in his quest. At the island, Momotarō and his animal friends penetrated the demons' fort and beat the demons' leader, Ura, as well as his army, into surrendering. Momotarō returned home with his new friends, and his family lived comfortably from then on.”

By eating this perfectly round tomato, may you be rejuvenated. Too bad I only have three plants; the other ten didn’t germinate.

Indeterminate (3)

Persimmon: An old heirloom variety that dates to the mid- 1800’s. Very large yellowish-orange fruits that are tasty and excellent for slicing. Free from blemishes and defects. As with many heirlooms, it doesn’t yield a lot of tomatoes. Last year, I got exactly three tomatoes off of my plant, but those three were excellent.

Indeterminate (7)

Supersonic: Large red fruit grows on a tomato bush. 8 to 12 oz fruits are excellent for slicing. Resists cracking, and that’s important. When I was a kid, Supersonic tomatoes were my favorite, partly because they resist cracking so well. At night during the summers, my buddies and I would sneak into my father’s garden and nab a grocery bag full of Supersonic tomatoes, which we would later use to terrorize the neighborhood. Sometimes we’d visit our neighbor’s, Mr. Grosso’s, larger garden. There, we could sneak away two or three bags without drawing his suspicion. But he didn’t have Supersonics. He was more of a Brandywine guy.

Our favorite sport was to hide in bushes beside a busy two-lane highway near my house and lob Supersonics at innocent vehicles cresting as they crested the hill. Supersonics, which resisted cracking, would not break apart until they contacted the windshield of the moving auto, making for an effective splunking sound. We were shot at by the driver of a VW Beetle one night, but that didn’t deter us. However, the night we accidentally nailed a cop car was the last night we practiced the art.

Indeterminate (3)


The federal government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it. We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as 'progress', doesn't spread.

~Andy Rooney


Cherry Tomato

Good things come in little packages. These little buggers seem to multiply and are the most indestructible of all tomatoes. I like to cruise the garden and pop ‘em in as I go.

Large Red Cherry Very similar to Sweet Million, my perennial favorite cherry tomato. L.R.C. has tons of tomatoes and produces late into the season, although the fruit is larger than Sweet Million. Without a doubt, this tomato was the hit of my drought-plagued garden last year. The vines treasured the dry heat and hoarded the moisture before releasing it into beautiful red cherry tomatoes.

Indeterminate (12)

Sugary I’m a sucker (tomato pun!) for cherry tomatoes. This is a newer variety with fruit shaped like glossy red grapes. It grows in clusters like grapes, too. You’ve probably seen these types of tomatoes in stores during the winter. These produce as advertised.

Indeterminate (6)

Sun Sugar Sweet, tasty, yellowish-red. One of best tomatoes you’ll ever eat. Small cherry-sized fruits. You’ll have billions of these little buggers. While they are extremely tasty, the fruit tends to swell and crack after a rainy period.

Indeterminate and prolific (2)

Sweet Chelsea New variety for me this year. According to sources, this tomato is a large cherry tomato (1” diameter) that bears fruit in large clusters. It will need to be caged or staked. The person who gave me these seeds got them in a container kit; however, they may end up growing too large for a container. It should be an interesting experiment.

Indeterminate (13)

Salad Tomato

A smaller version of a slicing tomato. Sometimes just for fun I try to slice salad tomatoes. It’s fun and challenging, too. Be sure you have a sharp knife!

Ping Pong New variety for me this year. Huge plant that produces pink ping-pong ball sized fruit all season and then some. You’ll most likely have to stake or find some way to contain the plant. Ordinarily, they are very prolific, although the drought seemed to zap them in my garden last year. The tomatoes keep extremely well and can be picked and left to ripen on a counter.

Indeterminate (5)

Stupice Looks like your ordinary garden-variety 1-2 oz salad tomato, yet it’s something more. When I ask my organic gardening friend what tomato he swears by, he says, “@^&%#@ right, it’s &%@#!%$* Stupice! A native of Czechoslovakia, Stupice is a cool-weather, early season tomato. The fruit does produce all season, but gets smaller as the summer heat turns on.

Indeterminate (3)

Sprite Sprite is a grape tomato that is quite prolific and excellent grown in containers.

Determinate (6)


The man that cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.

~Andre Breton


Paste Tomato

When I was growing up, they still had paste in school. Elmer’s glue was around, but economy paste reigned supreme. Old lady Johnson, my first grade teacher looked like paste. She wore an ankle dress with her gray hair in a bun. Her voice would crack almost as much as her ruler on kids’ palms. Every day we’d get the jar of white sticky paste out and use craft sticks to spread glops of it onto paper before gluing our creations down, cementing them for all time. Then she’d offer her critique of our work. She was never very impressed with my gluing. I was too messy. Paste tomatoes are great for making sauce.

Jersey Devil Bright red, 4-6 inch long fruits shaped like a banana. These tomatoes have few seeds and are supposedly prolific. I picked this variety because it’s a variety that fell away from the mainstream and can’t be found in many places these days. Unfortunately for me, I only had about 50% germination and two of those plants are insubstantial. We’ll see.

Indeterminate (5)

San Marzano Excellent Paste tomato. The fruit is elongated and about 4 inches. The plants produce a lot of fruit; however, I’ve had problems with blossom end rot and rotted interior fruit. Once they start producing in the main season, they are great. I use them in salads, and, if I were a canner, I’d use them in sauce as well.

Indeterminate (4)

Give a lift to a tomato, you expect her to be nice, don't ya? After all, what kind of dames thumb rides, Sunday school teachers?

~Martin Goldsmith


Sweet Pepper

“Sweet” is a bit of a misnomer. Sweet peppers aren’t really sweet. Rather, they are decidedly not spicy. Chocolate is sweet. Well, that’s not right either. Chocolate is actually bitter unless you add a little sugar to it to masque the bitterness. Sugar is sweet though. It’s sticky, too, which makes sugar so darned hard to clean up off the floor when you spill a sweet Coca-Cola. Sweet peppers, on the other hand, don’t make floors sticky when you clean them up. Plus, they’ll still be good and crunchy. Coca-Cola isn’t.

Cubanelle The most perfect roasting pepper you will find is the Cubanelle. The fruit is about 2x6”. With proper soil and growing conditions will really produce large quantities of fruit. It looks like it should pack heat, but it truly is just the opposite.

Sweet (8)

Islander My accidental pepper. Last year my organic friend tossed me a few miscellaneous pepper plants. Several of them were Islanders. Well, it turns out that when almost every other pepper I placed in my garden withered away in the drought; my Islanders actually produced a crop. They’re purple and lime. They’re tough, rugged, and delicate. They’re Islanders.

Sweet (6)

Sweet Banana: Looks hot, but it’s not. Yellow banana shaped fruit. I love to slice these babies up then freeze them for later use on pizzas from Domino’s.

Sweet (4)

Hot Pepper

Many people like hot peppers. I don’t. They look pretty cool though. That’s why I grow them. I also grow them so that I can play tricks on my friends with them. Some hot peppers are very hot. Some are just hot. Others are mild, which is just a little bit hot. Peppers that aren’t hot are sweet, but not sticky. I don’t know of any sticky or sweet peppers, but I do know hot peppers.

Anaheim College 64 L This is a mild variety that is absolutely perfect in my opinion. The plants produce many, many peppers that are 6-8 inches long. Lime green at first, they ripen to a deep red. At no time will they light your face on fire, which is good because I don’t like my face to burn. These peppers scream, “Roast me, Roast me.”

Mild (12)

Habanero So innocent looking. Cute little yellow to orange-ish fruit when mature. Vibrantly, nose-meltingly hot. A great pepper for playing eating tricks on your friends. These plants come from seed I saved, so your variety will be open-pollinated which means your fruit may vary in look and intensity. Who knows, you might create a new ornamental Habanero.

Hot Hot (11)

Senorita Mildly hot pepper with green fruit ripening to red when mature. 3x1.5” fruit. Stunningly beautiful when the fruit ripens to a deep red and so very tempting.

Mild (8)


It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.

~ Lewis Grizzard

Ornamental Pepper

The Beauty and the Beast of the pepper world, these plants are so beautiful to behold yet possess such fiery demons within. People eat these peppers, too. I haven’t quite figured out what makes a pepper join the ornamental class. If I were in charge of peppers, I’d classify them all as “ornamental.”

Black Hungarian Dark green leaves with purple veins. Electric purple flowers. Deep purple/black fruit. With a 30-36” plant height, this heirloom ornamental pepper is a great addition to a flowerbed.

Mild, Edible (7)

Candle Light: Fruit is red and points upward in clusters. I consider this ornamental to be the absolute most explosive low growing ornamental. I use as the front layer in a terraced flower garden. Its colors blast off from the plants and stay strong for weeks upon weeks. Seeds were very rare and limited.

Hot, Edible (9)

Explosive Ember New variety for me this year. I’m a sucker for purple peppers. Classic purple to orange to red fruit ripening is what these 14” plants will offer this summer.

Hot, Edible (12)

Largo Purple Amazing 2 ½ to 3’ purple variegated (white, green, purple) shrub with conical yellow fruit that turn red as they mature. Very Hot! This hot ornamental pepper is great for main flower garden planting and the fruit is great for eating if you like hot peppers.

Hot, Edible (6)

Poinsettia This ornamental was my strongest performer in the drought last summer. The fruit looks exactly as pictured; however, my plants were absolutely teeming with reds, greens, and yellows. The plant is compact and makes an excellent border or second tier.

Hot, Edible (5)

Tri-fetti This little purple wonder is a unique variety for me. I had obtained seed for this variegated pepper plant many years ago. The plants grow to about 2-3 feet with the tricolor leaves as much of the show as the deep purple to red fruit. Oh yeah, they’re very hot to eat, too. I’m getting good at saving these seeds. I have a whole gallon sized baggie of them. The cool thing is that each time I plant them; I get a slightly different plant, but obviously closely related. I guess growing them is my own little fruit fly experiment.

Hot, Edible (20)


Thank you and have a great tomato!



Contact: Newt999@gmail.com

No comments: