Friday, November 28, 2008

Broken Innocence

Broken Innocence

Fortune is a giver and a taker

~Polish Proverb


I looked into her eyes and saw a future with her by my side. A sly mist, however, clouded my vision, and I never foresaw the deep darkness that would follow me, just out of sight around the corner every day I spent with her.


I was so young. Back then, I could go almost a whole week without shaving. In fact, I frequently let my facial hair grow, just to see how long I could go before I’d have to shave. The first few days, whiskers would fail to give any notice. Then gradually, they’d begin to appear just below my lip before finally attacking my chin and sprouting down my neck. They never ever worked their way up the side of my face to join together with my weak sideburns. A can of Barbasol and a sharp razor were all I needed to maintain my boyish face.


She turned my head the very first time I saw her. 5’3”. Sandy brown shoulder-length hair lightly feathered in Farah Fawcett style. An engaging smile, and so very smart. Little did I know that she would break my heart time after time.

No comments: