Friday, July 02, 2010

A Walk Along Peters Creek Road 6_29_10

I had to drop my son's car off at our Pete's place, Plaza Auto, so that he could get some new tires before he heads off to The Marines this weekend. I decided that I'd walk home.


Burlington Elementary School. This school is still in service. I believe it was built in the late 1930's.



I stopped on the bridge overlooking I-581 and snapped this photo.



A look at the Northside High School entrance. Southview Elementary was closed long ago. It was given to the police department and they remodeled it to use as their emergency response command center. They left the building about three years ago and it's been vacant ever since. The regional morgue purchased the property from the county this spring. I haven't heard if they will demolish the building or renovate it to house dead people. I suspect they'll demolish. [pssst...asbestos....]


Another look at the grand profile of Southview. This mid 1930's building, red brick complete with a slate roof , is a beautiful. Look at the shield on the front left side of the building. That was my fourth grade classroom. There used to be a huge white pine that towered over the building. on the left side outside our window. I used to days dreaming of escaping the classroom by climbing down with my girlfriend, Karen Sarver, in tow. We used to hold hands sometimes. Her hands were always moist. She kissed me on the cheek once. It was on carnival night of our fifth grade year. We broke up right after that. Way too much pressure.

No comments: