Thursday, March 07, 2013

Handy Idioms

Back in 1981, Regents Publishing Company published Solomon Wiener's A Handy Book of Commonly Used American Idioms.  It's a fascinating read.  

Wiener included more than 1,200 commonly used idioms in his book, my copy of which was apparently purchased in Japan for 760 Yen.  Scanning the alphabetical list of idioms,  there are a fair number that I don't know.
  • According to Hoyle
  • All In
  • Back Number
  • Bobby Soxer
  • Carry Coals to Newcastle
  • Don't Give a Rap
  • Dry Behind the Ears
  • Eat One's Head Off
  • Fifth Column
  • Grass Widow
  • Have Drag
  • In the Jug
  • Keep the Wolf From the Door
  • Make a Clean Breast
  • Queer Fish
  • Serve One Right
  • Shift For Oneself
While the vast number of entries in the book are known to me,  the meaning of these eludes me.   Before you get all cocky on me and talk through your hat, you'd better mark my words and think over these very carefully.  For example,  I thought I knew what "All In" means, but according to Wiener, I don't.  Go figure.

No comments: