Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Novel Beginnings: The Hike



Last year,  I posted a line that I found on a third graders discarded note.  I thought that it would make a great opening line to a novel.  That gave me an idea.  What if I tried to come up with novel openings here on my blog?  What if I did that?  What would that look like?  Would I become inspired to actually take up the pen (keyboard)?


 

The Hike  
  
When people see something horrible, they sometimes react in unpredictable ways.  That’s what happened to me that day.

The woods were quiet, the sun not reaching the dark side of the mountain yet. Dampness dripped on me as I walked along the ridge top trail. The early morning humidity was rich and persistent.  My shirt was already drenched even though I had only been on my morning day-hike for less than a half hour.  But I really didn’t mind, because there was a lot on my mind.

No comments: