Sunday, September 13, 2015

Getting My Ear Removed

Getting My Ear Removed

I met a lot of very nice people today as I was knocking on doors for Mike Hamlar​.  I mean that, a lot of very nice people.  I knocked on one door expecting a female voter, but a man answered.  He explained that he and his wife had a mixed marriage.  He's a Republican, and she has "other ideas."  He laughed.  We shared a congenial chat-as it should be. 

I met many older people today.  A great many were in their 80's or late 70's.  Most wanted someone with whom to talk.  One lady had her husband walk out on her a few months ago.  Another was struggling to get by in the wake of a divorce after 35 years of marriage. 

One stood out, however.  A 78 year-old lady shared that she is raising her 6 year-old great-grandson.  He's a very active, but nice young boy.  We talked for about a half hour. She was feeling alone and was somewhat soured on people and the direction our country is heading.  But through our discussion, I pointed out that, in fact, there is a whole lot of good in this world, and sometimes we just need to stop and focus on that.  She agreed and then began citing examples of people who have shown her kindness.   


I know I'm rambling, but I think what I'm trying to say is that there's a whole lot more good in the world than we give ourselves credit for.  As she was about to turn away from the door at the end of our conversation, she said, "This always happens when someone comes to the door.  Since I rarely get to talk to anyone, when someone comes to the door, I talk their ear off."  

No comments: