Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Gravity Effect



During my senior year of high school, I had the opportunity to study under Sir Robert Brill in his Advanced Grammar and Composition class.  Sir Robert was Northside’s version of Prof. Charles Kingsfield Jr. (John Houseman), that hard-nosed law professor from TV’s The Paper Chase.


Brill’s class was split between learning the nuances of transformational grammar the first semester and seeking the perfect paragraph in the second.  For Brill, the perfect paragraph was exactly forty-nine words in length.  Should a student use any fewer words, he would be subjected to the wrath of the red pen and the letter “F”.  Should he over-shoot the magical mark, he would be bludgeoned with “Wordy, Wordy, WORDY!!!”  (65 words…WORDY WORDY WORDY!)


One of Sir Robert’s assignments  that second semester was for us to map a room in our house using only words.  After reading our forty-nine word composition, he had to be able to understand exactly where each piece of furniture or room feature was in relation to the other pieces.  Failure on any point meant a failure on the overall task.  Needless to say, many “A” students sweated each carefully chosen word in their compositions.  Brill’s pen was demanding and nondiscriminatory. 


I mention Sir Robert as I reflect on my journey to Brosville, Virginia and the “Gravity Road”.  Supposedly, a stopped car at the intersection of Berry Hill and Oak Hill Roads will seemingly roll uphill when parked unbraked in neutral at the junction.


Beth Wellford of the website onlyinyourstate.com  shared the supposed phenomenon on February 21.  Wellford’s  description, however, would not have satisfied Sir Robert Brill.   After reading it, I had no clear idea of exactly where I was supposed to stop prior to observing the anti-gravity effect.  Should I stop on Rt 311 (Berry Hill Rd) prior to turning right onto Oak Hill or should I stop at the Oak Hill stop sign before turning left onto Berry Hill Rd?  Unsure, I decided to approach the intersection from the one-lane Oak Hill road.  I figured that it wouldn’t be especially safe to stop in the middle of a major two-lane artery.


I approached the stop sign carefully, fully stopped, and popped my truck into neutral.  Within a second, my truck began rolling slowly backwards away from Berry Hill Rd.  I approached the sign again and observed EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS.


I asked myself if my results were unexpected or unusual. To which I answered, “No.”  My truck approached the stop sign along a straightaway, progressing along a gradual incline.  Predictably, the truck began rolling backwards after the stop.  Unfortunately, I have no scientific instrument to prove the gentle backward declination, but the movement of the truck in reverse met my optical prediction.



So I sped away from the intersection debating four possible conclusions.  There is no “Gravity Hill Effect”.  The “Gravity Hill Effect” should have been measured while turning onto Oak Hill Road from Berry Hill Road, in opposition to what I did.  Wellford needs to take an advanced composition course. The good people of Berry Hill and Brosville enjoy snickering at people with cameras in trucks rolling backwards at the Oak Hill Rd. stop sign.


No comments: