Saturday, September 02, 2006

VT vs Northeastern


Hybridized Comments

I’ve been following Virginia Tech football for a long time, and while my knowledge of football knowledge is, at most, annoying; I still like to share my thoughts in this very public way every now and then. I also like to sprinkle in a few more socially oriented observations.

Today, Virginia Tech opened up the 2006 season with a game against Division 1AA Northeastern. Without a doubt, Northeastern was completely over-matched on paper and VT won the game easily 38-0. However, the Northeastern team definitely earned much respect for not quitting and playing a relentless brand of football that will most likely take them far in their conference this year.

Here are some selected comments from my experience at the game. These impressions were formed without the aid of alcohol.

  1. OL: Coach D. Brown (in-game coach of both TE’s and OG’s) found himself hung out to dry a couple of times today as the impressive NE front out-gunned our massive offensive line. I’m not in panic mode, however; I know that this unit will only grow stronger, smarter, and quicker with more repetitions.
  1. To all of those who mocked Sean Glennon, shame on you. The guy is cool class. He admits mistakes and promises not to make the same one twice. I look forward to that healthy attitude and much success from him.
  1. 2006 Large Hokie Cup update: Mixed Review. This year’s large cup is rather flimsy, but from a distance appears to actually be made of plastic instead of last year’s cup - which from a distance looked to be made from disposable bio-degradable material. (Last year #5 recyclable; this year back to #2 recyclable) In the end, last year’s cup was superior in strength and rigidity (surprisingly); however, it did tend to lose its painted exterior very easily and it was too wide at the bottom to fit comfortably in my Honda Accord cup holder. This year’s large cup is fairly solid, and has a solid print design that will not disintegrate. It is also designed to fit my car cup holder by being nicely tapered. In short, I look forward to using this one large cup this year. I say that because I plan to only get one cup this year. Last year, my large cup of Diet Coke cost exactly $3.00. This year, the price had shot up to $4.00. Last year a bottle of water cost $2.50. This year the same sized bottle cost $3.00. Last year, buying a Coke from a “Pepsi Guy” (Man, I miss his game reports) cost $2.50. I especially feel sorry for the kids who are vending those small drinks in the stands. Last year, they had the potential to make excellent $0.50 tips on every sale. Now with the inflated price, they have lost much of their extra earning potential.
  1. Our kickers are very good. All four may have an opportunity to try out for a job at the next level. I like it that Phrank tried Develi for a field goal. This cat can blast a kick-off, but he needs to learn the finer art of the field goal to make it at the next level. Nic booms punts. His first punt went a beautiful 48 yards on a perfect spiral very high in the air. Fair catch, no return. Pace has really grown-up as a kicker. He walks with the same air of authority now that Opie used to own.
  1. Kam is going to be amazing. While some here suggest that he may end up at safety, I disagree. Having a 6’4” corner with lightning closing speed and leaping ability is something that most NFL teams do not yet possess. His non-interception was one of the best interceptions I’ve seen in a long time. Frankly, I’m not sure how the officials could have possibly had any authoritative evidence that would have allowed the interception to be nullified.
  1. I’m in a unique seating position. My sister has three seats in Section 48 Row JJ (seat sections changed to protect me from angry neighbors). I sat with her for much of the game because most of her neighbors are extremely friendly. Only one neighbor behind her is annoying. That guy rudely verbally assaults the young couple next to my sister any time they stand, even if they only stand for an instant. Yet, he seems to think it’s ok for him to stand when he deems the moment is worthy. Jerk! Toss Him Out! The neighbors who sit in front of my sister are saints, a sweet couple. They tolerate my sister and me. You see, I tend to comment loudly on every play with wise quips and annoying trivia. I’m afraid my long association with HC/TSL is partially to blame. “Who was that?” “Oh yeah, that guy is…” If I was sitting in front of me, I’d tell me to shut up.

  1. Now I also have two season tickets myself in Section 60 row PPP. I went up very high to check my new, expensive seats and discovered that despite being situated on the West side somewhere near the airport runway, I could still see the field by having my video i-Pod tapp in to and direct the Hubble Space Telescope. Unfortunately, when I went to sit in my seats, I discovered that my new neighbors did not welcome me with smiles and friendliness. Hokie Respect seemed lost in this layer of the atmosphere. All around me, people were sitting on their hands lost in their own thoughts, scrutinizing the teams silently with sour looks on their faces. There was no joy in this Mudville. After about ten minutes of this silent treatment, I left and retreated back to my sister’s seats. Perhaps at the next game, I’ll break the ice.
  1. I loved the way the players went to midfield to greet the opposing team after the game. That’s the kind of sportsmanship I love to see. I’m firmly convinced that when players respect their opponent, they are better able to raise their own level of play.
  1. Boone, Wang and Wheeler will be monsters before all is said and done. I’d love to see a gadget play where Boone peels back off the line and accepts a backwards pass then fires it sixty yards downfield for a strike to MorganClowneyHymanLuckettHarperRoyal.
  1. Hey, let’s play “Predict the Play!” I just want the world to know that along with the rest of the world, I correctly predicted the first play of the season for VT, a wide receiver screen. Plus, I also predicted the second play, a misdirection run to Ore off the right side.
  1. Hokie Pokie variation: You may not have caught it, but the MV drum major really changed things up on the Hokie Pokie twice today. It was quite comical. During the half-time rendition, the drum major played games with the band by dropping his arms after the second sustained note, as if he was done and it was time to go home. Then he raised his arms a few moments later to quickly call back the final sustained note…a nice variation. When the same drum major came out at the end of the quarter, he put the band and the poor sousaphones through the quickest Hokie Pokie I’ve ever heard. Those Tubas were gassed by the end, practically collapsing into the turf on their final curtain call. As an ex-sousaphone player, I loved it!
  1. Nothing beats a crisp, crystal day at Lane Stadium with a Hooish wind blowing Autumn gently off the mountainside.

No comments: