Friday, August 31, 2007

Just Yesterday


Just Yesterday

It was just yesterday; I swear it.

Just yesterday, I stood with my wife before a make-shift memorial and cried.

Just yesterday, a horror movie came to life.

Just yesterday, it was Spring in Blacksburg.

Just yesterday, I stood outside the Chick-fil-A Dome anticipating the football team capturing glory only to have the plug pulled on my bowl euphoria.

Just yesterday, Marcus Vick owned the world.

Just yesterday, Bryan Randall grew in esteem before our eyes as he willed our team along a most satisfying path.

Just yesterday, Michael Vick darted down the sideline to set up a shot heard around Morgantown.

Just yesterday, Vick flipped.

Just yesterday, Alabama faithful left a wet, frigid Nashville stadium early in the third quarter with their boastful pride tucked in their plaid flasks.

Just yesterday, Druck to Holmes with Banks evading a stray foot.

Just yesterday, VT celebrated an Independence day in Shreveport.

Just yesterday, a kick sailed through the uprights to right a wrong in Atlanta.

Just yesterday, Pedro Phillips said, “We going to da Peach Bowl, Baby!”

Just yesterday, my sousaphone had a 2 liter “Sprite” mute.

Just yesterday, I wandered alone for miles and miles across campus and off-day after day- searching for my place; trying to shake the pain and sadness of growing up.

Just yesterday, Don Strock wore that silly map of Virginia helmet

Just yesterday, Lane Stadium was built.

Rock solid.

Memories etched in Hokie stone.

It was just yesterday. I swear it.

I can barely wait for it to come around again today.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...