Sunday, September 09, 2007

Opening Salvo...



I received a letter in the mail this past week. Apparently, Virginia Tech will no longer allow me to earmark my donation to the Virginia Tech Athletic Fund for the Marching Virginians. This donation is my ticket to get football game season tickets. I guess the fact that I earmarked my donation for the band really ticked off somebody somewhere.

Here's what Lu, the assistant AD wrote to me...

Dear Thomas:


At the recent Board of Directors meeting of the Virginia Tech Athletic Fund the members voted to stop awarding athletic benefits and priority points for gifts to the Marching Virginians.

The main reason for this decision was to close the door to any other campus departments or units who may feel they are entitled to athletic benefits from gifts to their college or campus unit.

Of course, annual made last year did earn athletic benefits for this year and they will be honored. As of August 1, 2007, the Virginia tech Athletic Fund will no longer accept gifts for athletic benefits through the Marching Virginians.

We encourage you to continue your support of this fine marching band by sending your gifts directly to the Virginia Tech Foundation, Inc. for the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences for further credit to the Marching Virginians account in the School of Music.


Sincerely,

Lu

Lucius Merritt, Jr.
Director of Development for Intercollegiate Athletics


Here's what I sent back to Lu today...


September 9, 2007

Lucius M. Merritt, Jr.

Director of Development for Intercollegiate Athletics

Virginia Tech Athletic Fund

P.O. Box 10307

Blacksburg, VA 24062-0307

Dear Mr. Merritt:

I was saddened and extremely disappointed to receive your letter informing me of a recent decision by the VTAF Board of Directors regarding awarding athletic benefits and priority points for gifts to the Marching Virginians. According to your letter, the board will no longer allow my donation to be earmarked for the Marching Virginians

The main reason for the board’s decision makes little sense to me. You said that the board wanted to “…close the door to any other campus departments or units who may feel they are entitled to athletic benefits….” It seems to me that it would be a rather easy administrative matter to simply say “No” to other campus departments or units that may ask for similar treatment.. It’s a tidy response and simple to formulate. It needs no explanation. If the main reason was to combat something that hasn’t happened, what were some of the other reasons? Because to me, the main reason doesn’t seem to make any sense.

When I found out a couple of years ago that the VTAF would allow donations to be tagged for the Marching Virginians, I was impressed by the VTAF’s acknowledgement of the band’s services and the proactive support stance for a band that provides the athletic program such an integral service. The band works tirelessly through the heat of summer and autumn afternoons to put together halftime entertainment at football games. They act as spirit leaders both inside the stadium during the games and outside the stadium before the games. They are the face of the university in the stands. The Marching Virginians are Virginia Tech, and I would argue that football game day atmosphere would be much less exciting without them.

I am very disappointed that the Board decided to curtail the allocation of my donation to the Marching Virginians. I’ve supported the MV’s financially for many years now by “purchasing” a valve on a sousaphone and supporting their endowment fund. I will continue to do that as you suggested. With two students at VT right now, I will be forced to find more creative ways to support both the Marching Virginians and the VTAF.

I ask you, respectfully, to bring this matter back to the Board on my behalf and ask them to reconsider their position.

Sincerely,

Thom

Thom Ryder

Class of ‘82/Sousaphone ‘81



I really don't understand how diverting my $563 a year will negatively impact a multimillion dollar athletic fund. That relatively small amount, will greatly help a band program that is always searching for ways to purchase uniforms and instruments. It seems such a small price for the Athletic Fund to pay for the services they get in return.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. This brings back the memory of the United Way allocation of funds. They cut off certain groups from the "pot" but allowed you to direct your contribution to these organizations.