Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Almost in the Spirit

About the last thing on my mind lately has been blogging.


Christmas spirit has come slowly to me this year. I did force myself outside to string together a few chains of lights on the bushes in front of my house. I was moved almost to the spirit as I followed an Isuzu Rodeo down the road the other day as it hauled a Christmas tree home...

I followed the SUV right to their house and watched as kids tumbled out and into the house for hot chocolate. A young husband, a smiling wife, two laughing kids. I walked into the garage with dad and watched as he prepared the tree to bring in. His two kids were racing around him spilling globs of hot chocolate all over the concrete garage floor as he readied the stand. Then when the moment was right, he hoisted the tree into the living room. I watched quietly in the corner as he and his wife strung lights around it. The kids were reaching for the ornaments as soon as the lights began going up, so the smiling mom had to keep telling them to be patient. When all was electrified, the kids began placing their favorite ornaments.

"This one's mine. I made it a long time ago," said the oldest boy.

Mom replied, "Yes, that's one of our favorites."

"This one's mine!" The littlest one said.

"Yes sweetie, it is."

They all danced as they loaded the tree with ornaments.

They were all so happy. They were all so joyful.

After the angel topped the tree, I slipped out of their house as invisibly as I had entered and drove away.

No comments: