Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Clearing My Head


I have a few things to get out of my head before I can begin to write my long promised rabbit story.

My boss (female) came up to me this morning and said,…

“I got an email from _______ today and I need you to help me shrink his thing.”

I looked at her dead in the eye without smirking or missing a beat and very seriously replied, “I’m sorry, I can’t help you do that.”

Whoosh

“Well, why not?”

That’s when I realized that I’d better play the game properly, so I told her I’d be glad to help. _________ had sent her an Excel file that didn’t fit onto her paper when printed. So I showed her how to scale (shrink) the file to fit the page.

It’s probably good that my summer unemployment period begins tomorrow.

*******************************************************************
I enjoy visiting my local Big Lots store to see what unusual items they have salvaged and are selling.

Over the years, I've purchased rechargeable batteries, Kellogg's Conrnflakes with Arabic writing on the box, kippers in a tin, and dill pickles from India.

So I was excited to see a new product on the shelves the other day,

Dona Maria brand Nopalitos (Tender Cactus). The first one I bought had a popped "Security Button" and I exchanged it for a sealed jar. I opened them yesterday for a taste. The cactus is tender and down-right mushy. Since they've added onions, cilantro, and serrano peppers, there is a serious fire to it.

*************************************************
Did you happen to hear Dennis Kucinich speaking on the floor of Congress the other night? It took him five hours to read all 35 clauses of his Presidential Impeachment Resolution. I was able to listen in last night as these three poor clerks were forced to provide a second reading. While the resolution was kicked into committee to die a slow and painful death, at least there is now an official record in Congress of the high crimes committed by the administration.



You will find more videos at YouTube that cover more of his recitation of the resolution.

********************************

School is finally out for me, and tomorrow I begin my summer unemployment. Beginning in August, I'll be moving back to the clasasroom and teach third grade again. It was a tough decision to make, but I realized that I really missed teaching my very own class and telling my very own class a bunch of stories. Plus, I really can't wait to read Danny, The Champion of the World aloud again.

***************************************

Speaking of books, I've recently read some marvelous sci-fi/fantasy books. Here's a look :

Forever War by Joe Haldeman: This book follows the unusual story of a soldier who fights wars through time. Written at the pinnacle of the Vietnam War, this book is a Science Fiction classic with a stark and haunting message.

Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman: In a time in the near future when people have advanced technology to the breaking point of society, a horrible, new ultimate weapon is discovered...one that will destroy the UNIVERSE in a "Big Bang." In parallel, a fanatic neo-con religious group secretly hijacks the military and government. What follows is tension.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson: Old fashioned fantasy is joined with sci-fi and excellent story telling to reveal a most unique world that is struggling against a dark, immortal dictator. The heroes of the book plot a way to overthrow the government and establish a utopia. Battling a powerful immortal is not easy.

Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson: The second of the trilogy chronicles the fantasy world after the fall of the dark, immortal dictator when the rule of law is established and everyone lives happily ever after...well...not quite.

soon....time loop, eh?
Stay tuned for an incredible rabbit tale...coming




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wondering about the rabbits.

Newt said...

No doubt I've told you about the Thumper the Humper and Jim's rabbits many times...
I'm going to update it and modernize it a bit...make it racier for the times.