Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stroll Through Autumn

I recently spent some time in one of my favorite places, a rock outcropping along the Appalachian Trail just south of Rt 311 in Catawba, VA. Here are a few pictures from that trip.

A rocky nest adorns the summit.


This is actually located about two tenths of a mile south of the parking area on Catawba Mountain. This squatter camp is located on the ridge above the AT. I stumbled onto another one of these campsites in the same general area that looked like a homeless person had been living there. There was an old dome tent, sleeping bags, and a duffel bag as well as all kinds of empty cans and signs of human defecation in the nearby woods. The site looked abandoned and messed about by bears. Needless to say, I passed through that campsite very carefully.


Also nearby along that same ridge, I found this painted rock.


Back at my cliffs...a view from below the rocks I like to sit on.


When I'm sitting on my rock, this is my view. I've sat in this spot in all four seasons this year.


At this summit, a traveler can easily seek shelter.


The trees are aflame this time of year.


About three tenths down the trail, a chipmunk has a home. I picked fresh flowers for the home placard.


The hollowed faces in this rock are chilling. They remind me of the time my wife and I visited Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. The hollowed cliffs seemed to scream at us as the 95 degree super-heated winds blew through a violent thunderstorm.


I call this The Crucifixion. The burdened tree is immediately beside where I sit and play my harmonica.


Autumn reigns in Bradshaw Valley.


Peering southeast at Fort Lewis Mountain flanking Bradshaw Valley.

A view from my rocks.




Last week, I stopped beside a stream and filmed the leaves floating past. This is an unusual little place. I was parked alongside the stream on the old Hinchee Road. The modern Rt 311 is just across the stream. The video juxtaposes the serenity of the stream with the harh intensity of the traffic.

No comments: