Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Windstorm Blows Away 2008



The last day of the year, a year that I will hope to forget in many respects. I decided to get up before first light this morning and head to my favorite rock out-cropping along the Appalachian trail just south of Rt 311 near Catawba, Virginia. The wind had come howling through at about 5 in the morning and gusts were already winding up to about 50-60 mph. I got to my rock just after the sun broke above the Roanoke Valley. The air was so crisp and clear. The sun was magnificent as it turned the puffy clouds to orange and purple pillows. Soon the howling wind began lifting leaves up to the heavens by the thousand. Each leaf looked like a fiery ember launched from a firestorm, instead the wind was the master of the day.

Here's a record:
Sunrise Over The Roanoke Valley: New Years' Eve 2008




Tree Glow

Flying Leaves

Catawba Valley. I found this fresh location on the side of a mountain. I stood on a rock and pointed the camera roughly north north east. The shot captures the northern portion of Catawba Valley. Tinker Cliffs is visible in the distance to the right. North Ridge is on the left.





Here's a raw video taken with my digital camera of the glowing leaves being blown upwards. There was one particular gust that launched ten times more leaves than this particular gust. I'll never forget that moment.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

At times the leaves look like painful projectiles.

Were you not cold?

Sharon Crute said...

Great post. You live in a beautiful area and seem to especially appreciate it. A terrific way to welcome the new year.