Friday, January 09, 2009

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

I snatched this copied email on techsideline.com. It was posted by a poster named HokieIan. Ian set the piece up by saying he emailed someone on Craigslist about a Van they were offering for sale. This is the reply he received back. Below that, you will find my fictitious reply to Melinda Wilson, owner of the van.



My car is in perfect condition. No accidents. The price for my car is $3,500. Here
you have the pictures hosted:
http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj346/hondaOdyssey/?start=all

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Miles: 50144
Transmission: Automatic
Year: 2003
VIN Number: 2HKRL18983H504200
Interior: Tan
Exterior: Teal
Engine: 3.5L V6 PFI SOHC
Fuel Type: Gasoline

I am in a wheel-chair and I am living now at my parents in San Jose/CA. My
husband died and as a single widow I don't need this car.


It was an accident two years ago between my husband's car (1995 Toyota Supra)and a BMW X5. That Toyota was totaled. I know that the price is so cheap but I need money asap for a surgery in China because I have a chance to walk again and I don't want to lose it.

The car is located at eBay Shipping Cargo from San Jose/CA. Its sealed and ready to be shipped. Since it is at eBay I have to make the transaction through them. They will handle the transaction for me. I don't have the car listed on eBay, I only have the car at eBay Shipping Cargo. Shipping to your location will be made through eBay Shipping Cargo, its free and will
be take 3 days. Also you have ten days for inspection.

You will send the money only after you will receive and test the car.

I'll wait your decision regarding my car as soon as possible and if you want to make the deal, eBay will send you a letter with all instructions and there you can start the transaction.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Melinda Wilson


Run the VIN and this comes back:


Warning!
VIN: 2HKRL18983H504200 has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheck
Total Loss Records.

Date of Loss Cause of Loss
2007-10-04 Collision

*************************************************************************************************************

1/10/09

Dear Melinda,

Thank you for so much for responding to my request for information on your Honda Odyssey. I always marvel at how God can bring people together who share similar situations.


Five years ago on January 14, a drunk driver in a Honda Odyssey van broadsided my 2004 Honda Civic as I was entering an intersection. I don't really remember anything about the actual crash, but I was airlifted to a near-by hospital and was on life-support for a month and a half. I slowly regained consciousness and became aware that I had lost the use of my legs. As a person who has also experienced total loss of your legs, I'm sure you can fully appreciate the sense of loss and devastation.


My problems were compounded by the fact that the man who struck me was an illegal alien in the United States and had no insurance nor did he have any tangible assets. To further complicate my situation, I had lost my job just prior to the accident and had let my auto insurance slip. To put it simply, I had no insurance, no coverage, no hope for remuneration, and no one to help me. I didn't know where to turn.


The hospital soon discharged me, and I was faced with hospital bills that I could never hope to repay. I struggled with my condition for months then years. One night, as I lay deep in despair, literally at the end of my rope and ready to pack it in, I cried out to God.


Immediately, I felt a calm come over me. I became aware that there was a tingling in my legs. I threw off the covers and watched in disbelief and joy as my toes began to wiggle under my control. Over the next hour, movement gradually returned to my legs and I found that I could hoist myself out of bed and walk! Incredible!


The rest of that night, I couldn't sleep! Joy swept over me! Hallelujah!


Two things happened the next morning that still seem impossible to me. I received a phone call from the hospital. They said that they understood that I was in financial need and that they had decided to forgive my debts. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked them why. Why help a poor wretch like me? The person told me that this was a part of a mandatory review and investigation of outstanding accounts. The hospital periodically looks at these accounts and offers debt forgiveness to maintain non-profit status.


Still staggering from that amazing call, my doorbell rang. It was an old high school friend that I hadn't seen in twenty years. He knew nothing of my accident and subsequent paralysis. Anyway, I was overjoyed to see him, since we hadn't touched base in so long. Before I could tell him about my accident, my healing, my salvation, and my financial miracle, he interrupted me and asked me if I would like to go into a sales venture with him. Flabbergasted, I told him that I had no cash. But he persisted, insisting that he had the capital, he just needed a partner. After talking through a few details, I agreed to join him in his potted topiary venture. We called it "Topiary in a Pot."


Melinda, within two months our topiary business was raking in money hand and fist. Our product line was picked up by HSN, and we've never looked back. God is great! So that's where I am today. I've been blessed with the most amazing miracles from a loving God.


Recently, the old car I picked up as my partner and I started the topiary business conked out, so I am in need of a new mode of transportation. When I received your reply to my inquiry on Craig's List, I immediately fell to my knees and praised God. You are a Godsend. Your car sounds like just what I need, and I revel in God's sense of humor. The vehicle he sends me is the vehicle that started me on my eternal Odyssey.


Melinda, before we complete our transaction, a pact sealed by God, I want to thank you personally and in a special way. I want to send you one of our most special topiary containers absolutely free. Please just send me your address to this email account so I can send you this blessing from God.


Thank you again, Melinda. I hope that with the money you raise from this sale, you can get the help you so desperately need. However, if I may share a special and sincere thought with you. In your hour of deepest despair, look to a higher power. Amen! Amen! Amen!


Ian Seikoh

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God works in mysterious ways ... and so does your brain, Thom. Truly an ingenious piece of writing!

scott said...

She's now "Jessica" and living in Spokane ... here's what i got from her today

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my 2005 Lexus ES ES330 (VIN# JTHBA30G855088907). No door dings or scratches on this baby - it is immaculate. The exterior shines like it just came off the showroom floor. The interior of this car is in absolutely mint condition and still has the new vehicle smell. Only 45,700 miles, drives better than new. It comes with all the documents needed for registration. The title is clear. This car is looking like new, never been involved in any accident, no damages and is not under leasing or bank liabilities.
Here you have the pictures hosted: http://album673.synthasite.com/2005_lexus_es330

I am in a wheel-chair and I am living now at my parents in Spokane/WA. My husband died two years ago in an accident between he's car (1995 Toyota Supra) and a BMW X5.
The book value for this vehicle is more than what I'm asking for it now, but I need money asap for a surgery because I have a chance to walk again and I don't want to lose it.

I think it's impossible to buy a vehicle for such amount without having an inspection first. So I had a look on eBay and I saw they could help us with this. Since the transaction worths a lot of money they've suggested to make the deal only through eBay so that we won't have any problems.
The price that I'm asking for the car is $4500. The car is located at eBay Shipping Cargo from Spokane/WA. The shipping will take 2-3 days through eBay Shipping Cargo and it will be free because my previous buyer already paid for it and eBay Shipping Cargo didnt want to refund him so I have the car sealed at eBay terminal ready to be shipped out.
You will have 10 days for inspection and possibility for a refund policy.

You will send me the money only after you will receive and test the car for 10 (ten) days.
I'll wait your decision regarding my car as soon as possible and if you want to make the deal, eBay will send you a letter with all instructions.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Jessica Baker, 2632 W. Queen Ave., Spokane, WA, 99205