Sunday, March 15, 2009

Seedlings Begin to Grow

I've gathered a collection of photos here from my tomato and pepper seedling set-up. I've worked this weekend to refine my laboratory. In fact, in the hour or two since I took these shots, I've rearranged the lights on the shelves. Now, I have my lights strung vertically on the shelf instead of horizontally. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that configuration a couple of years ago. My newest addition is the incorporation of my AeroGarden as a light source for my earliest tomato flats. I plan to rotate all the flats under the high intensity lights as soon as all germination has taken place.

Saturday, I prepared a fourth flat. This flat was an even mixture of tomatoes and peppers utilizing mostly older seeds. We shall see if any reasonable amount of seeds germinate. In addition, I started Emerald Artichokes. This particular variety is supposed to be hardy into my hardiness zone; however, I don't expect to gain any artichokes this year.

There's something about these photos that I find poetic. The way the seedlings seem to wave in the breeze captured in a freeze-frame as they give way to the powers of phototropism is beautiful.


As usual, please click to enrage the photos.













1 comment:

Sharon Crute said...

Best of luck with the mini-forest of swooning baby veggies. If they all make it, you'll have quite a yield.