Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tomato and Pepper Time


(Click Photo to Enrage)

Last weekend I sneaked in my first wave of tomato and pepper seeds into their germination flats. I've become more and more scientific and particular in developing top-quality seedlings over the past couple of years. This year, I scoured seed catalogs and settled on seeds from Tomato Growers, Territorial Seed, and Totally Tomatoes. I also considered seeds from Seeds of Change, Johnny's Selected Seeds, Pintetree Garden, and others. One thing that I noticed this year is that the prices of tomato and pepper seeds have escalated this year. Generally, you get between 20 and 30 seeds per packet. Last year, I paid anywhere between $1.85-$3.00 per packet. This year my prices ranged from $1.95 (Red Cherry) to almost $4.00 (Momotaro).

In addition shopping for seeds, I did a lot of research on varieties utilizing the Cornell University interactive gardening website.

Initially, I've prepared three 72-cell flats of tomatoes and peppers. In each cell, I have at least two seeds. In some cases, I planted three seeds per cell. later, I will cull the seedlings and destroy the weakest seedlings. In many cases, I'll get two or three very strong seedlings. In those cases, I'll transplant the surplus seedlings to their private cells.

As I stated, my trays, were planted on Saturday of last week. I allowed the trays to sit in my dining room with no special care other than a thorough initial soaking. This was possible thanks to an unusually powerful warm spell that allowed inside house temperatures to hover in the mid-70s. Wednesday, I set up my grow lab and transferred my trays my specially, personally rigged lighted seedling cart. My cart has three generous shelves within a metal frame on rollers. On each level, I've hung florescent grow lights. In addition, I clamped an incandescent lamp inside the shelving unit. The whole cart is wrapped securely in plastic film (the wrapping from a new mattress) to help keep the warmth inside.

Much to my happy surprise, I noted that my tomatoes have begun to germinate... in only five days. Peppers usually take a few days longer.

If everything goes according to plan, I'll transfer all of these plants into their private cups in about a month. If all survive, I should have close to 400 plants from this first wave. If I feel motivated, I may start an addition flat or two. Usually, I like to start a few eggplant, celery, and broccoli in addition to experimenting with saved hot pepper seeds as well as old packaged seeds.

I usually end up using about 30 tomato plants and about 50 pepper plants. I usually sell or give away the rest.


1 comment:

Meg said...

mmmmmm! I can hardly wait until summer. You've selected an amazing line up, Tink!

Megs