Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Commando


Arnold Schwarzenegger starred in this classic.


"How long is the flight?"

"We'll be in the air for 11 hours."

"Do me a favor. Do not disturb my friend. He's dead tired."


******

I recently returned from a trip to the paradise of San Diego. The city is beautiful, friendly, and accessible. Everything about it was fresh and invigorating. Yet, bubbling just beneath the surface is a nervous discontent. People go about their business, but there's an unseen tension.

As we returned from our Habitat For Humanity build site, Art, our driver who now resides in Tijuana, gave us a delightful tour. I learned more about San Diego during his 20 minute tour than I did in the other seven days I spent there combined.

Art also shared bits of his story with us. When he was younger, Art told us that he served with distinction aboard the USS Midway which is permanently moored in San Diego Harbor. I asked him about traveling to Tijuana, and he brightened up and told us that it was a wonderful city. I asked him if it was a dangerous place, since that's what we had been told. Art assured us that Tijuana was a perfectly safe place. He explained that it was much more affordable to live there than in San Diego.

It struck me as ironic that Tijuana was affordable while California lives on IOU's.

******************


"Do you remember when I told you I'd kill you last?

"Uh-huh"

"I lied."


Arnold Swartzenegger starred in the movie Commando. His character, "Matrix," rescues his daughter by slaughtering hundreds of hapless Latino soldiers. The whole thing was sort of like an I.O.U. fulfilled.

No comments: