Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tranquility


Singing Rocks




Tranquility

There are places I go sometimes just to think and be quiet. One place, perhaps the easiest to get to, is a set of rocks overlooking Bradshaw Valley just off the Appalachian Trail near Roanoke. I secretly call them “Singing Rocks.” It’s a simple little stroll to get to these rocks. All I do is park in the AT parking lot atop Catawba Mountain and head south on the AT for less than a mile. The rocks are on the left just before you descend to the valley.

Not many people visit these rocks. They’re lonely, standing against the mountaintop wind in all seasons and watching the quiet valley below. Off in the distance, you can just make out the smog-faded outline of Roanoke City.

On those rocks, I can just sit and watch with an empty mind and heart. Almost without fail, the wind whistles over the ridge behind me as I sit atop a rock. It changes in pitch and varies in speed so that I feel I’m listening to a symphony of the valley below. Thus primed, I’m usually inspired to play for the rocks and the valley below in return.

Embedded within this entry, you will find a video clip. Using modest means and shaky videography, I’ve tried to capture the spirit of those private moments. I know that my music is at best amateur, but it is at least sincere.

Please accept this series of pictures and video in the spirit in which they are offered.

Peace













The trail is quite steep in places






A Little overlook on the way to the singing rocks







Views along Bradshaw Valley









Singing Rocks






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am weary - let me lay down in the forest and rest.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Heart filling. A wonderful visit to a place I once called home....