Sunday, April 26, 2009

Love and Joy and Peace


Amy Tan, author of many books including The Joy Luck Club, appeared on the final NPR episode of This I Believe today. This series has been a four year partnership between public radio and the international thisibelieve organization. The series will now move on to a new partnership with the original host of NPR's Morning Edition, Colonel Bob Edwards (tips his hat to Red Barber).

Amy Tan's essay is riveting. You can listen to it at the link above. Her essay begins at roughly the 7:30 mark. What I like best was how she takes her time with her words and cradles them carefully. The essay ends with a most amazing revelation:

"It took my breath away and filled me with something absolute: love, but also joy and peace — and with that, understanding that love and joy and peace are all the same thing. Joy comes from love. Peace comes from love."

I've always enjoyed Amy Tan's writing style. The Joy Luck Club was one of the most amazing books I've ever read. So delicate, so thoughtful.

Hearing her this morning on NPR made me want to refresh my memory of her as a writer, so I searched for and found her website and began exploring. After a moment, I picked up on an unusual section heading: Lyme Disease. I figured that perhaps Amy had become a spokesperson for this disease. To my amazement, that link took me to another most personal essay by Amy Tan. She writes of her ten year struggle with Lyme Disease and chronicles its effects on her personal and professional life.

Two amazing Amy Tan essays in one day. I am a better person.

No comments: