Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Static


Static

Wolfman Jack was the prize. In a time far removed from today, I grew up. In many ways, I was educated by the airwaves.

From my earliest memories, I was always fascinated by radio and television. I remember sitting in front of our General Electric black and white television watching whatever I could tune in. That was quite a challenge back then. Our television probably had a 17 inch screen, and it rested on a 1960’s shiny metal stand with a magazine rack below the stand. My mother kept her staple Redbook and Look magazines there. I used to love to mess with the channel selector knob on that TV. I’d constantly click through the 13 channels and try to mess with the rabbit eared antenna to pull in faint traces of far away stations. In Roanoke, we really could only get three stations, WDBJ (CBS) 7, WSLS (NBC) 10, and WBRA (PBS) UHF 15. With clever antenna manipulation, I could tune in snowy images from WLVA (ABC WSET) 13. My prize, however, was WXII 12 from Highpoint/ Greensboro, North Carolina. I always felt that if I could tune in faint ghost images from that station, I was actually traveling to that foreign place. On Saturday mornings, WXII ran Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, such educational offerings and so forward thinking.

Radio, however, was my true love. I was always fascinated by the radio on our old Philco record player (I think it was a Philco). Anyway, the machine had a record player with a deluxe speaker under the platter. Situated on the front of the speaker was a smiling radio tuning system. Round knob for volume on the upper left front. Round knob for tuning on the upper right. AM tuning band centered in an arc directly between the two knobs. J The machine always looked like it was smiling at me. I’d sit for hours tuning in distant stations, carefully turning the tuning knob, passing distant voices; listening as voices faded into static. Traditional, Country and Western, Swap Shop, Rock. They were all there. Somewhere near 1300AM, the tuner labeled something called “CD.” I later learned that this was where I could find information on the pending nuclear apocalypse. On the other end of the dial, King Edward IV played his goofy country and western music.

Some time after my seventh birthday, I received a transistor radio, complete with an earpiece. I loved my radio, I’d set it to WROV 1240 and listen to the best of the new rock n’ roll. ROV had some really cool jocks. Freddy Freelance, Bart Prater, Larry Bly, and later Rob O’Brady. These guys made my life. At night, I’d fall asleep with the radio under my pillow and let my mind rock into the night, muffled through the down.

I remember that when I turned 8, I began my football career on a hapless sandlot team. We were the castaways, kids who weren’t selected in the first round of picks because we appeared to be too timid or weak for real aggressive ball. We were given a couple of “real players” to give some depth and coordination to our ridiculous mob of nerds. Our team only won one game that fall, but we had one really cool coach, Mr. Sigmon, who just happened to be a nighttime DJ at WROV. After each losing game, he’d point out all of the positive plays our team made and share funny stories from our trips to Mr. Moe’s for milkshakes after games. The night that we won our only game, by forfeit when the other team failed to show up, he celebrated our victory for all of Roanoke to hear. I was so proud!

When I turned 9, my parents got me a real radio that plugged into the wall. This Juliette possessed unimagined distant power. With it, I could tune in the mysterious world at night. I would sit in the dark in my room after I went to bed and scroll through the powerful glowing AM dial. Soon, I learned to focus on three main frequencies: 670 (WNBC-New York), 770 (WABC-New York), and 880 (WCBS-New York). I especially loved WNBC because they were the dark lair of the amazing Wolfman Jack. This cat would howl into his microphone in New York City or Texas, and it would carry all the way to my bedroom in Virginia. Wolfman was a compassionate cat. He’d tone his howls down and speak seriously to his audience in a compassionate voice, then he’d crank it all up again and spin platters with the best of the modern music scene.

Sometime in that period, I began to have a social education through “Dr. Demento.” This guy was just plain nuts. When I was lucky enough to get his weekly show, I’d hear all kinds of wacky songs led by the amazing tune, “Shaving Cream.”

ARTIST: Benny Bell with Paul Wynn

TITLE: Shaving Cream
Lyrics and Chords

I have a sad story to tell you
It may hurt your feelings a bit
Last night when I walked into my bathroom
I stepped in a big pile of
/ C - - - / - - G7 - / - - C - / F G7 / 
{Refrain}
Shaving cream, be nice and clean
Shave everyday and you'll always look keen
/ C - - - / F C G7 C / 
I think I'll break off with my girlfriend
Her antics are queer I'll admit
Each time I say, "Darling, I love you"
She tells me that I'm full of
{Refrain}
Our baby fell out of the window
You'd think that her head would be split
But good luck was with her that morning
She fell in a barrel of
(Refrain}
An old lady died in a bathtub
She died from a terrible fit
In order to fulfill her wishes
She was buried in six feet of
{Refrain}
When I was in France with the army
One day I looked into my kit
I thought I would find me a sandwich
But the darn thing was loaded with
{Refrain}
And now, folks, my story is ended
I think it is time I should quit
If any of you feel offended
Stick your head in a barrel of
{Refrain}

Over time, I learned geography by pulling in AM stations from all over eastern America, Canada, and Mexico. I learned about murders and protests from WCBS and WABC. I could even tell you when the Throgs Neck Bridge was jammed with traffic.

AHHH-OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH…Wolfman Jack here baby! And the big Wolfman AHHH---OOOOOHHHHHHH is gonna spin some platters for you baby!! AHHH-OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

To this day I stay nice and clean and I always look keen. I grew up as a human transistor to a modern age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's weird to read words that you can identify with so closely.....I listened to Dr. Demento on Sunday nights (I think) and recall a song called "Who put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?" (or something close to that anyway! Do you remember Bart Prater's Pickle Jar Lid song? I made him a necklace from a pickle jar lid and mailed it to WROV - what a geek!

Newt said...

I personally don't recall the song mentioned; however, I did find the lyrics.
Mrs. Murphy couldn't sleep, Her nerves were slightly off the beat, Until she solved her problem, With a can of Ovaltine.

She drank a cup full most every night And oooh, how she would dream, Until something rough got in the stuff, And made her neighbors scream...

"Aw! Who put the benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?" Sure is a shame don't know who is to blame Cause the old lady didn't even get his name.

Where did she get that that stuff, Now she just can't get enough It might have been the man who wasn't bad Not Jack, that guy's a square.

She never ever wants to go to sleep. She said that everything is solid, oh reep Now Mr. Murphy don't know what its all about So she went and threw the old man out. Clout.

Who put the benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine? Now she wants to swing the Highland Fling Says that that benzedrine's the thing that makes her spring.

Who put the nembutals in Mr. Murphy's overalls? I don't know...

She bought a can of Ovaltine Most every week or so And she always kept an extra can on hand Just in case the cheep run low.

She never never been so happy Since she left old Ireland Til someone plowed her pantry Til someone tampered with her can---Wham!

Who put the benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine? Sure was a shame Who was to blame Cuz the old lady didn't even did get his name.

Where did she get that stuff? Now she just can't get enough It might have been the man who wasn't bad Naw, Jack, that guy's a square.

She stays up nights making all rounds They say she lost about 69 pounds Now Mr. Murphy claims she's getting' awful thin And all she says is "Give me some skin. Mop!".

Who put the benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine? Now she wants to swing the Highland Fling Says that that benzedrine's the thing that makes her spring.


Now as for the pickle jar song...I used to sing that all the time to myself. Shoot I probably even made up my own lyrics.

"I got a pickle jar lid
I carry it in my pocket.
I got a pickle jar lid, I wear it as a locket.
Pickle jar lid make me feel so fine.
Pickle jar lid make me feel SO fine.
Oh I got a pickle jar lid..."