Sunday, December 24, 2006

Johnny Cash-Hurt

Johnny Cash passed from this world September 12, 2003. His wife, June Carter-Cash, left him on May 15, 2003. This video was Cash's last. A cover of a 1994 Nine Inch Nails song, Hurt appeared on Cash's last record in 2002.

Seeing Cash sitting in a lonely rocking chair simply experiencing the sadness of this song with a time-etched face mines a deep well of emotion rarely captured in video and song. Having his wife look over his shoulder as a spirit looking down seems eerily prophetic.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoever decided to have Johnny Cash redo this song, and whoever directed this video are geniuses! As you watch it you can tell Johnny lived it.

Newt said...

I agree. I cry every time I see it. The song obviously resonated with JC, and it speaks to me, too. I found myself transposing my life into the tortured lyrics. They became just as real to me as they were to him. I can't say any song has ever moved me as much. That's why I posted it here.