Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Speak For The Trees...

Not really.

"Yes, I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please. But I'm also in charge of the brown Bar-ba-loots, who played in the shade in their Bar-ba-loot suits and happily lived eating truffula fruits. Now, thanks to your hacking my trees to the ground, there's not enough truffula fruit to go 'round!"
~The Lorax

"Now, you listen to me, Pop, while I blow my top! Trees? Ha! You speak for the trees? Well I speak for men, and human opportunities! For your information, you Lorax, I'm figgering on biggering and biggering, and biggering, and BIGGERING, turning MORE truffula trees into thneeds! Which everyone, everyone, EVERYONE NEEDS!"
~The Once-ler

Yes, I'm afraid it happened. The tree, the neighborhood tree, was axed today. I feel bad in a way. It was a good tree, a giving tree.





It's so sad to see her go. She was the queen of cul-de-sac, a tired emperoress. Her branches shaded me and were the umbrella of a small world below. I've known for some time that she needed to go. Her boughs were reaching too far. Her roots had already destroyed our water line once. She had begun shedding limbs. She began dropping leaves.


Now that she's gone, I should be happy, but I'm not. I will take her body and warm my house. I will take the chips from her limbs and line my gardens, but I'm not happy. I can't imagine she is either. Maybe I should speak out for the trees.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed or rather lamented viewing the clip.

The RT DataSphere has a Tree Database - maybe if you browse through that it will lift your spirits.