Sunday, July 13, 2008

Morning From the Hotel Balcony North of Belfast, Maine

Breeze is blowing off Penobscot Bay across my face. Directly in front of me are two hundred yards of grass leading down to the water's edge. A small wood-shaked cottage rests beside the water to my right. The wind is kicking up little white caps across the bay to Islesboro Island. A buoy, positioned off in the water not too far out from me tolls a lonely bell warning seabirds of impending land. A distant small sailboat bobs like a cork with its naked mast knifing into the wind. The morning mist and foggy sea-mist clouds are giving way to the day grudgingly. The world is very old here. It's sitting with me; resting and watching.


Yet, there are a bunch of little dogs running around in the grass below me. It's like this is a dog hotel and they are allowing me to visit. Lots of poodles, Jack Russels, terriers, and stuffy dogs all strutting around and barking at each other. Very strange. A dog show in town? The owner's all look like Harley bikers.

No comments: