Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vintage Photos



When my father-in-law, Jack Rupert, passed away back in April, he left behind all of his worldly belongings. He proved that you don't take it with you. Earlier in the month, my wife, her sisters, and brother went over to her mother's house to help sort through and reassign all of his stuff.

While some of the crew worked on sorting through his vast collection of tools, my wife spent hours and hours going through his photograph archive. He was a photographer by trade. He was trained in the armed forces and was shipped to Germany during the Korean Conflict. During that period, he was a driver for officers and VIP's, but he was also an official military photographer. One of his most unfortunate duties was to photograph dead soldiers for identification purposes.

While my father-in-law was busy in Germany, his older brother was busy flying planes for the Navy. In the hoards of photos my wife uncovered, she came across several of her Uncle Paul Rupert (Known later in his career as Captain Paul Rupert). Paul began flying F-4U planes just after WWII and continued flying into the middle of the Vietnam War. I know that at least the two photos of Paul next to his jet aircraft were taken by his brother. I'm not sure who took the others. Paul passed away some time ago now, but these photos live on.


Paul and his F-4U

Paul in his A-1 Skyraider

A-1

A-1


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thom! (It's Lisa...Jackie's Forest Park friend!). :) I hope all is well. Tell Jackie I would love to get together before the school year starts. Did I read correctly that you are returning to the classroom?!?! Brave man, you are! Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer. Lisa

Newt said...

Good to hear from you, Lisa. I will pass along your get together request to Jackie.

Yes, I am returning to the classroom next year and yes I am a brave man for such a coward.