Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese


Primed

Napolean Dynamite had large talents. He was especially good at drawing a Liger, a cross between a lion and a tiger. Steve Martin had a "special purpose." It's probably better that we don't go in to what exactly that was. I believe I may have found my special talent; making bacon, egg, and cheese bagels.

The right ingredients are essential. I start with a freshly preserved bagel from the best bagel shop in Virginia, Bodo's Bagels of Charlottesville. Bodo's Bagels are so good that we drive two hours to Charlottesville periodically just to buy six dozen or so, then we freeze them and live off them until the supply runs low. Sometimes friends and family passing through Charlottesville make the pilgrimage for us. I wish they'd open a store in Roanoke.

I use precooked bacon and heat it in the microwave. Block cheddar from Kroger. American Cheese (not fake cheese food...the real thing) from walmart, and farm fresh eggs from Food Lion.

I crack two eggs, add sea salt and a bit of rice milk. Then I whip the mixture until there are no chunks in the bowl. I've preheated the pan and sprayed it and the spatula with cooking oil to ensure a non-sticking surface. Then I craft the empty omlet. At the critical juncture before any permanent browning occurs to the egg surface, I split the omlet in half and layer onto a sliced sesame seed bagel my three ingedients.

Finally, I place the towering structure in the toaster oven to make the cheddar ooze. After removing, I carefully slice the treat in two.

Then comes delight.

No comments: