Monday, January 26, 2009

Blink Blink Blink Blink Blink Blink

blink blink blink blink blink

That's what a cursor does on a blank word processing document.

That's what happens when a person has nothing to say. Well, that's not exactly true. It seems that I always have something to say. In fact, now that I'm feeding my addiction to Facebook, I've discovered the world of 25 Things. You see, on Facebook, people are always playing tag with others to get them to share random things about themselves. It's sort of like "Spin the Bottle." So I thought a couple of minutes ago that I would create my list of 25 random things and post it right here on my blog.

25 Fings About Me That You May Not Have Known

1. Every morning I eat one Honey and Oats granola bar on my way to work. I open the bar at the stoplight at the intersection of Green Ridge Road and Electric Road, and finish it before I roll past Lewis Gale Hospital.

2. I'm getting up at 3:30 to drive my daughter to the airport so that she can fly to the Florida Keys with her Biology classmates for a week of outdoor laboratory work. Gee whiz, it's after midnight now. It sure better snow.

3. The new George Duke CD, Dukey Treats, is fabulous. I have a sweet tooth for the Fonk.

4. Sometimes I let my dog run loose on Jim Hickam Field.

5. When I used to work at Lakeside, sometimes I would would go into the Arcade with my Skee Ball "Magic Quarter" and play Asteroids for hours upon hours.

6. I am very good at Skee Ball...

7. I shook hands once with Jim Fowler. "While Jim wrestled the angry alligator, I observed the action from the safety of my duck blind." I'm glad he still has hands after wrestling so many alligators.

8. I've personally met Ray Charles, Boss Hogg, and Darth Vader. I came within six inches of touching Loretta Lynn.

9. I always buy two boxes of Girl Scout cookies from every Girl Scout in my class, and one box from every other Girl Scout in my grade who asks. I may go broke this year. A man can never have too many frozen Thin Mints.

10. I very much enjoy my wife's chocolate Chip cookies. Yet, I really don't crave cookies or sweets. I'm a chip guy.

11. Diet Coke. I collect my bottle caps and have earned 1,668 mycokereward points over the past year or so which I can trade in for valuable prizes some day. I'm after the Accudart Solid Pine Deluxe Dart Cabinet. All I need is another4,500 points.

12. I am currently editing/formatting a 300 page book that I plan to have published early next month. The book is a collection of writings and short stories by my Father-in-Law, Jack Rupert who passed away in April. We plan to use the service Lulu to publish about ten copies of the book. I've formatted and added the stories along with my brother-in-law and now the transcript is undergoing final revision and edits by my niece and sister-in-law.

13. When I was in college, I used to purchase hot dogs in the lobby of my dorm. Many times, they would sell them at 5 for $1.00. I could eat a mess of those. However, these days, hot dogs upset my stomach. I miss them.

14. I play the harmonica and pennywhistle. The pennywhistle is especially fun to noodle around with when you are sad and lonely.

15. Back in the early 1990's, I participated in a Listserv dedicated to getting the word out about the civil war in Croatia. I remember one time when one native writer told us of her experience watching a mass murder in a soccer stadium. She was desperate for the outside world to know of the atrocity and was pleading for us to get help from the outside world. Back then, the Internet was so new to the general public that we really didn't understand its scope and power.

16. Students used to stand before VT basketball games, turn away from the court when opposing players were introduced. While turned, the fans would clap in unison a singular, slow cadence until the visiting team was done, then the whole sold-out Colosseum would erupt in noise for the home team . A variation of that was standing with a newspaper covering your face during the visiting team introductions. I hear students have resurrected that tradition.

17. I was president of the Northside Band in 1977-78.

18. When acting on stage in high school, I wasn't much for big roles. In fact, I was very shy. My first role was playing a Russian butler with a Roanoke twang. My main purpose in the murder mystery was to answer the door when the doorbell rang. My line was, "I will get it, Mr. Garth." Or some terribly confusing variation of that like "Mr. Garth, I will get it. " Anyway, my director would always yell at me for how I said my line, "IT's GET, RYDER, GET!!!!...NOT GIT!" My last role was playing the part of Chrispopher Robin. I was born for the role.

19. I have taught eleven years in third grade, ten years in third grade, two years in fifth grade, one year in sixth grade, and three years as a computer resource teacher. Currently, I'm back with third grade.

20. There was a time when I had just about every Beatles song memorized.

21. I took my good friend to my senior prom. I rented a nifty black tux. She wore the largest Hoop Dress I've ever seen...right out of Gone With the Wind. When I picked her up in my 1970 4 cylinder Jehovah Nova, the hoop skirt would only fit in the passenger side standing on its edge. So she flashed traffic to and from the dance. I was sorely embarrassed.

22. My friend Robert Parks once smoked a whole pack of cigarettes at one time. He could also puff his cheeks out like Dizzy Gillespie when he played the trumpet, and he could kick a sixty yard field goal in his fake K-Mart Chucks. Coach Hickam (Homer's brother-Rocket Boys) wanted him to come out for the football team, but Robert's Grandmother wouldn't let him.

23. I jumped down a waterfall once. It was quite possibly the most intense moment of my life. You can read about it in this blog somewhere. I suspect you can use the search blog feature to look up waterfall or South River.

24. I played for the Northwest Saints in 1968. Our coach was a nighttime DJ at Roanoke's Rockin' WROV-AM. While we only won one game (by forfeit), Mr. Sikma would talk about us on the radio after every game. We felt like kings. Sometimes we would go to Mr. Moe's after a game for a milkshake. I love chocolate milkshakes.

25. My favorite sandwich is a toasted bologna and cheese with two pickles on the side. I could eat those all day.



No comments: