Saturday, January 31, 2009

BEC Goes Euro



I'm no food critic, nor am I a cook. That's not to say that I can't cook a few things here and there. Back before I married, I survived just fine on 5/$1.00 boxes of Macaroni and Cheese, spaghetti and meatless sauce, and eggs.

I have to say that my latest bacon, egg and cheese bagel creation is my finest yet. In fact, I would stack it up against the best bagel egg sandwiches in the world.

I use only the finest ingredients starting with a fresh, plain bagel from Bodo's Bagels in Charlottesville. Much to my chagrin, Bodo's still has not opened a shop in Roanoke despite my pleading in my last bagel blog. To recap the process I give you what I said earlier in the month when it was colder outside.


I use precooked bacon and heat it in the microwave. Block cheddar from Kroger. American Cheese (not fake cheese food...the real thing) from Walmart, and farm fresh eggs from Food Lion.


I crack two eggs, add sea salt and a bit of rice milk. Then I whip the mixture until there are no chunks in the bowl. I've preheated the pan and sprayed it and the spatula with cooking oil to ensure a non-sticking surface. Then I craft the empty omelet. At the critical juncture before any permanent browning occurs to the egg surface, I split the omelet in half and layer onto a sliced sesame seed bagel my three ingredients.

Finally, I place the towering structure in the toaster oven to make the cheddar ooze. After removing, I carefully slice the treat in two.



Now, here's where this particular bagel rose above anything yet created. I cleverly combined my new-found taste for feta cheese with my passion for black olives. I layered in the ingredients as described, but placed two pitted and diced black olives on the initial layer on top of the American Cheese and cheddar base. Then I sprinkled feta on that layer and between every layer above that.. Finally, I layered the plate with sprinklings of feta to give the hot bagel creation a soft bed on which to be displayed.

The addition of the two rich ingredients really added to the sensory effect. The feta added a certain sweetness while the olives proved a balancing tang. The net effect was something wonderful that made me lick my fingers clean of every crumb.

Without a doubt, today's bacon, egg, and cheese bagel was a delicious artistic creation. I am well-pleased that I did not have to share.




No comments: