Friday, October 20, 2006

Repression


Last night, I was moved to write about my second grade teacher. I didn't like her at all as may have been evident in my written piece. This afternoon, I went by to visit my mother and father for a bit, and I mentioned last night's blog entry to my mother. After a few moments, my mother had excellent recall of that teacher, and my mother's opinion very closely matched mine. But my mother had different memories of the same story, memories that were instantly a revelation to me.

She easily recalled the story of me being sent out to the hallway for whispering during quiet time, but her recollection of the event was clearer and more detailed than mine. One of my greatest weaknesses or strengths has always been that I rarely have detailed memory of events. Apparently, that was the case regarding my memory of the whispering incident. According to my mother, I was indeed sent to the hall for whispering during quiet time. The principal did come by and speak with me, but something else happened that I have kept repressed and largely rewritten in my brain.

What really happened that fateful day was that I was caught whispering to Lisa, as I mentioned last night, and I was sent crying into the hallway with shame. Shortly after the principal came by, another person came by and saw me crying. That person was my very own mother. She was very active in the PTA and was at the school for some kind of meeting. The following details are according to my mom.

As I was standing there crying, she saw me and came over asking what I was doing out in the hallway. I sobbed my response, and that's when my mother called that Miss Worley out into the hallway and confronted her with sharp, biting words. Right then. Right there. She recalls vividly what she said to that lady after some initial heated discussion where Miss Worley layed out her case against me, "I've had four children go through this school and none of them have ever been in one iota of trouble, I do not consider this to be trouble!" Why I couldn't remember that she did this on my behalf, I don't know. After all, I suppose I was standing right there for the entire conversation, unless they sent me inside while they had words outside the classroom. It's interesting though. That day, my mother came to my aid in my moment of need and backed me up, defending me against ridiculous charges. I was a very lucky boy to have such a parent.

My mother further told me that she thought that teacher was horrid, and she had no business being in the profession. I suppose my mother knew what she was talking about, because Miss Worley didn't stay at my school very much longer after I had her.

It would be an interesting study, I think, to dig through my repressed memories to find out what history I've rewritten. It's like Churchill said, "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

No comments: