Monday, October 16, 2006

A Travelogue Epilogue

We traveled home Sunday. It was a mostly unremarkable trip. Route 460 between Ivor and Zuni showed signs of recent devastating floods where mud coated trees 10 feet or more above the road surface in spots. We left Avon, N.C. at 10:15 a.m. and arrived in Roanoke, VA at 4:45 p.m. We definitely made good time.

Before we left, I did slip down to the dock by the canal behind our beach home and slipped a fishing line into the dark water. My tiny hook was armed with slimey squick and in a matter of several minutes, I had captured my ninth species. My brothers and I had a little side bet going on who could catch the widest variety of fish species. My brother, Greg, led the competition going into Sunday morning when I pulled that little one inch shiner out of the murkiness.

After I got home, I immediately began putting stuff away and washing my fish smelly clothes. I had exactly two loads of dark wash to do, and I kind of packed the second load a bit too much, so those clothes still kind of smell a bit like funky squid. I didn't have enough whites to do a load so I left those few articles of underwear, socks, and t-shirts laying on the basement floor beside the wash. When my wife came home this afternoon, she discovered all of my malodorous whites strewn about the yard and one very happy black dog wagging her tail with glee. Apparently, my four year old puppy loves me.

No comments: