Monday, April 23, 2007

Drop-Off


Drop-Off

My wife and I dropped off our first born at VT late Sunday afternoon. Much has changed since we were there last Wednesday. People were still huddled in private corners of the campus staring through the space in front of them with tears in their eyes. Others paid their respects in front of the silent Norris Hall. All wandered freely among the memorial message boards located in front of the bugle stand. A long line snaked past the make-shift Hokie Stone memorial in front of Burruss Hall. Little memorials to various students were piled with flowers and important articles here and there.

Yet despite the somber mourning, there was light and hope. The students were filtering back and some were tossing a football on the Drillfield. A study group was getting an assignment together in Squires. The sky was crystal blue with a generous breeze. You know that breeze. In winter it sharpens its teeth, but in spring it bathes you in refreshment.

The media was largely gone, or at least they were staying clear of Norris and the Drillfield. That alone was the greatest difference between today and last Wednesday.

I didn't cry today as I looked upon the beautiful memorials and heartfelt messages. Last Wednesday, rivers of tears streamed down my face. Today though, I was almost tear-free. Almost...

The last place we stopped before heading home was Squires. As we walked around to the front of the building on the second floor, we scanned the announcement boards that had been set up to receive all of the thoughts and prayers from university students and organizations from around the globe. Radford University. VCU. UNCW. Moravian College. Bob Jones University. Towson University. University of Kentucky. University of Southern Illinois. University of South Carolina... and Country Bear Day School from Roanoke, Virginia...

My eyes grew moist when I read the message from young Alex, Age 5, from the Kinderbear Class of 2007...

"We love all of the VA Tech people!"

Quinn, age 5, also shared a reaffirming message for all of those who hurt, "They can feel better with my grandma and I love them!"

The tears though really escaped me when I read what young Jackson, age 4, said,

"I will give them my Superman costume so they will feel better!"

I hope that everyone affected by this tragedy gets the opportunity to put on Jackson's Superman costume so that we can all feel better.




No comments: