Sunday, April 15, 2007

Potpourri



http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/04/10/unuts.jpg

Potpourri

MC Nuts really gets it. This squirrel rapper knows Wordsworth like no nut knows Wordsworth. If you haven’t seen this wonderful rap, I highly suggest you check it out. The group that produced the rap is apparently the Cumbria Tourist Board. Cumbria is located on the central west coast of the United Kingdom. It’s a land of lakes and poetry, apparently.

Telegraph TV

Speaking of lovely plants and nuts; I’m hip deep in tomatoes and peppers. My wife says that I’m nuts for growing so many. Currently, I have transferred 640 plants to individual pots. Each transfer is a delicate and painstaking process. I consult my computer-generated diagram of my seed flats, then label a craft stick, label a Dixie cup, and then carefully transfer the tiny plant from the small flat container to the luxurious Dixie cup pot. It’s probably a good thing that I had the week off from school as the job took me the better part of five days to transfer the plants from my six flats. Each flat has 72 cells, and I generally put two to three seeds in each cell initially. I weed out the weak and keep only the strong. Some might wonder what a person does with 640 (and counting) tomato and pepper plants. Well, I spend a great deal of time watering them, shifting around my make-shift lighting arrangement inside my house, and explaining to police that the high intensity lights that shine through my windows are illuminating only legal crops. When it gets warm enough hopefully next week, I’ll begin moving some out to my bright garage. Then when they are ready in mid May, I’ll sell a bunch; hopefully enough o offset the cost of the seeds, soil, lights, craft sticks, flats, and cups. I’ll probably give the rest away. I’ll be a little like Johnny Appleseed with tomatoes and peppers.

Look for my catalog to come out soon. In the meantime, here’s a link to last year’s plant care guide from this blog.

Next week will be extremely busy for me. I have RCEA meeting to run on Monday, Tuesday I have another after school meeting. Wednesday I get to interview a candidate for state Senate to see if my education association group can endorse him, Wednesday, I head to VA Beach for a convention, and my dog is being medicated for various issues from inflamed liver, prednisone dependency, ear infection, and hypo thyroidism. Plus, I’ve got to water those tomatoes and peppers.

2 comments:

diane said...

I don't suppose you could mail some tomatoes to upstate New York...I refuse to eat any more "tomatoes" that taste like plastic or cardboard!
diane

Newt said...

I've never done interstate shipping before:) I'd probably be arrested by the Med-Fly police.