Friday, April 27, 2007

Runts

I must admit that I'm more than a little disappointed in my tomato and pepper seedlings this year. So far, my 681 plants look to be about three/four weeks behind where they ought to be. By now, plants should be about ready to be hardened off outside, but most of mine this year are still struggling to gain a workable set of leaves.

I have theories.

1. I used a Miracle Grow potting soil compound this year as a seed starter. That in and of itself isn't what was different. What was different is that the company has added 9 months of feeding to their formula. That escaped me until it was too late. I usually like to provide my own nutrient program for my plants, but this year, I've been afraid to overdo the fertilization. Plants suffering from over fertilization tend to shut down their leaf production and end up looking yellowed and anemic.

2. Inadequate light. Despite my amazing racking system with a lot more light than I'm used to having, I don't think the plants got all of the light they needed early on. Many of my seedling flats were stacked in shelves with no direct light source. Foolish on my part. I need to grow fewer plants with more available light.

Despite my plants shortcomings, I believe that they will rebound. They are already showing signs of that as I begin to move them gradually outside under my broad maple tree. Now, I have to be careful to gradually move them out and slowly extend the time they spend out in the world. Wind is the main enemy. In recent years, a wind seems to blow from April right through the end of May.

Whatever happens, I plan to have some tomato and pepper plants. If they remain runts, I'll probably just give most away, but if they rebound, I'll be seeking fair compensation.

No comments: