Sunday, April 22, 2007

From an Aggie

Sometimes words can do something justice. What follows is a copy of a letter that a Texas A&M Aggie supporter wrote today on the Virginia Tech message board I frequent. Messages like this one are ringing out all across the Hokie land. These fine people seem to understand and appreciate the deeper bond that; despite ideological, geographic, and economic differences; joins us all together.

Subject: Dear Hokies:
Posted by: decadeplan on Sun Apr 22 2007 2:43:20 PM
Message: Very soon, I and other well-wishers who've found a safe place in here to
grieve, though we are outsiders to the Hokie community, will move on
with the normality of our lives. In fact, America - though she will
NEVER forget your tragedy and the mark it left on you and all of her
pepole - will be distracted by other events. The media will back away,
giving you that privacy you so desire and need right now.

And it's going to be different for different ones of you. Some of you are
going to sense that we're forgetting, that we've lost interest or that our
care and concern for you is waning. Please know that nothing is further
from the truth. The fact is, you will necessarily suffer MUCH longer
than we on the outside. Especially those of you with daily visual
contact with your own Ground Zero.

Like others, I'm sure I'll ease back over to Texags sooner than later and
get about the business of talking nonsense about the less important
things in our world. I, like many others, have never felt like we were
intruders here - but we also know this is YOUR place and it is not ours
to overstay our invitation. I know I'm someone melodramatic and
pontificating - such is me, but it's the real me (my poor kids, huh?) :)

I admire you guys more than you realize - and did long before this
tragedy. Unlike many in this country, I was not in the least surprised
by your valor in the face of the storm, or by your courage in the
cauldron of pain. I expected that because long before "Cho" became a
household word of hatred at your expense, you were the Hokies.

This tragedy drew out the deepest pain in you, and the greatest honor
within each of you. I've basked in it for a week and like the rest of
America, feel that it's time to move over to my little corner of the world.

But - like ALL of this country - I am not far. Never so far away that one
of you can't holler and just ask for a goofy YouTube video of turtles
doing the Wild Thing, a good Aggie joke that you can turn into a Hoo
joke - or just a word of encouragement. Email me -
mlm5362@hotmail.com - and write nothing. Put "life sucks" in your
subject and hit "Send." I care, and I'll hear you out. I am POSITIVE
that is true for many of your kinsmen on TexAgs.

We'll be silent, we'll let you move on together. We can because we see
you regaining your strength quickly, bent but not broken.

But we'll be watching. We'll be praying. And if you stumble, be it
tomorrow are on the 1-year anniversary...as I promised you that terrible
Monday night...we WILL carry you. Better, God will carry you.

You are good, your hearts are sound, and you have each other. That's
good enough. I'm a better person today, because you suffered so
amazingly and invited others into your pain, including me. I have but
one wish for you now - that you NEVER suffer like this again.

Your American Brother
DecadePlan

Taken from the Techsideline Lounge ,my cyber home.

No comments: