Monday, August 11, 2008

3:08.24

1. USA 3:08.24
2. France 3:08.32
3. Australia 3:09.91

So went the most amazing swimming relay in history. The USA 4 x 100 m relay team was considered to be underdogs to the powerful French relay team. The race was close throughout, but France began edging ahead. By the time, Jason Lezak jumped into the pool for the last USA leg, the team was almost a full body length behind. Lezak proceeded to chase down current 100 m world record holder, Alain Bernard, by putting in an astounding 46.06 second final hundred.

In the end, Lezak closed the gap in the final 50 and lunged for the wall barely out touching Bernard for the stunning victory.

I've been around pools now for about twenty-five years as a coach, starter, timer, judge, and parent. Never have I seen a relay finish like that, on the world stage at that!

As I was writing this, I remembered that my son was part of a powerful 200 free relay team in 1999 in the 9-10 year old age bracket. Their Virginia YMCA record still stands. I remember watching those guys glide over the water like it was yesterday. As 9-10 year olds, they were such a dominating force. Of the bunch, Kyle Greene currently swims for The University of Kentucky. I don't know what happened to Nick Tudor, or Corey Chandler.

1.53.80 K.Greene, N. Tudor, C.Chandler, S.Ryder VA
1999
200 Free Relay

No comments: