Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mad Men

Good For What Ails You


I stumbled upon this old advertisement in a copy of the September 1960 NEA Journal. A friend of mine found the journal at an estate sale. What attracted me to this particular ad is the poignant juxtaposition of the apple with the Coke bottle. My scanner didn't like the size of the ad and cut off the hilarious ad copy below the photo. You really need to see read it:

"Coca-Cola, too, has its place in a well balanced diet. As a pure, wholesome drink, it provides a bit of quick energy...brings you back refreshed after work or play. It contributes to good health by providing a pleasurable moment's pause from the pace of a busy day."

God bless Coke.



Glowing Dreams

Another ad in the same publication takes a serious futuristic look at rail travel. This reminds me of an old filmstrip I once found entitled, "Space Travel A.D. 2000." Can you imagine trains powered by nuclear reactors toting around people and hazardous wastes? Apparently, the Association of American Railroads thought that would be a dandy ideer.

{Click to enrage}



For the Little (Gifted) Lady


I admit it. I still have several S&H Green Stamp books in the cabinet above my refrigerator. When i first started teaching twenty seven years ago, I really couldn't afford much. I had to pay the $250 rent for my three room (Kitchen, bedroom/living room, green room) drafty apartment, $153 form my car payment, and periodic insurance payments to cover my $1200 auto insurance policy. At the time I was making $10,500 a year. Life was not easy. That's why I collected Green Stamps (and those annoying Top Value Stamps).

Here's the ad that appeared in the NEA publication in 1960. In case you can't read the whole copy, let me share with you my favorite part:

"Your own wife has probably brought many improvements into your home. Millions of women-shopping for half the families in America-do so by saving S&H Green Stamps. Perhaps your wife is among them. If she is, you know how she feels about her S&H Green Stamps.

The little "luxuries" she acquires with them are small, but significant, examples of her ability to provide a better life for her family though intelligent management of her home."



No comments: