Saturday, August 02, 2008

Swallows in the Chimney


Without warning of any kind and after living in our house for ten years, we've been invaded by barn swallows. This invasion has become personal. Sometime a month or more ago, a young mated couple of swallows decided to make their family home inside our chimney.

I'm sort of caught here. I can't quite see their nest, but I could probably get in there and blast it apart with a stick or something. Anyway, the baby swallows hatched about two weeks ago. Now they spend all hours screaming for food and defecating inside our chimney. If I destroy their nest now, they'll fall down further inside the chimney and die, stinking up the house.

I did gain access to near where their nest is. Our chimney is adjacent to our garage, and there is a covered flue opening there. At one time, our garage used to be a family room that was heated by a wood stove which explains the flue. Anyway, the flue is about six feet off the ground. So I attached a mirror to a board and used a flashlight to scope out the chimney. All I could see was one unhatched egg that had been kicked out of the nest and lots of bird poop. While I was looking around in there, the birds screamed a definite frightened cry; it was intensely shrill like something out of an Alien movie.

I've left the flue uncovered for a few days now in the hopes that the swallow fledglings will jump out all on their own. Sure enough, the morning after I first opened the flue, a swallow was frantically trying to escape from a closed window in my garage. I had to capture him and then release him outside the garage door. I think this was one of the chicks, but I can't be sure. The bird didn't seem to have much power to fly up, but when I showed him the path to freedom, he bolted away across the road and into a cluster of trees.

I sure hope they all leave soon so that I can cap my chimney.

2 comments:

Newt said...

I read somewhere that it takes 17 days after hatching for the birds to fledge. I don't remember when these loud beasts hatched, but it sure seems longer ago than that. They're still screaming in the chimney. I wish they would stop!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)